Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd March 2010, 08:30 PM

Default Severe thunderstorms in PER

Folks,

Several delays in PER this afternoon as a result of thunderstorm activity.

Perth was hit with two significant storm fronts, an hour apart (sometime between 16:00 and 17:30 local time). Winds were reported at 120km/h and I think some suburbs had 46mm of rain in about 15 minutes.

Some of the internationals have been re-timed to later this evening. Anyone know where they went?

Bring on the rain anyhow. We need it.
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:40 PM

Some of those international flights were possibly already re-timed due to the runway resurfacing works too.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:22 PM

My folks report the DJ service to DPS is delayed to 2359 (was 1940) but cite crew duty hours and a landing at KGI for their operating aircraft as the cause. The latter probably due to the weather in PER. That's a long time to wait in the PER T1 departure lounge.

They had a hairy trip to the airport through flooded roads, golf ball hailstones and fallen trees.

Cheers

Isaac
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:58 PM

Pretty sure I heard ATC advise aircraft of flooding around bay 14 and the domestic apron.

A number of DJ and XR flights effected due to aircraft either diverting or waiting longer at departure points. Good thing Perth doesn't have the restrictions of a curfew! Only a few delayed QF departures.

For about an hour straight, visibility (due to intense rain) was less than 3 or 4 metres from my office window. I normally have about 300 - 400 metres to the nearest housing estate.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:43 AM

DJ4173 left Kalgoorlie at 12:20am WST An XR flight also left around 11:40pm and QF1899 also left 11:45pm. QF1905 appeared diverted from Karratha departed just after 7:30pm from KGI
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:30 AM

Sure was a very bumpy ride in on Jetstar 116 from Bali (-JQW) tonight! Top job by the techies
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:59 AM

Total of 7 Flights diverted to KGI. The DPS flight had Pizza`s delivered due to there being no Customs facilities in Kalgoorlie and passengers had to remain on the plane while the crew were swapped.