Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2008, 10:42 PM

Default Perth Spotting

Hi Guys - I'm in Perth again this week and have just finished up my work, but don't fly back to YSSY until 12.25 tomorrow on QF580 (743). Can someone give me an idea on a good spotting spot for the morning? (I have searched the threads).

Thanks

Darren
Old 14th August 2008, 09:10 AM

international airport side...which is useless for your because its 12km from the domestic terminal.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 14th August 2008, 09:44 AM

Thanks Monty - I've got a hire car so will head down to there.

Thanks

Darren
Old 14th August 2008, 02:54 PM

Im hoping when they open the internal road between the two terminals that there is somewhere interesting to stop
Old 14th August 2008, 10:14 PM

I found a mound of dirt off Horrie Miller Dr. and got plenty of pics of carriers that we don't get in Sydney, plus one QFA330 and my ride home VH-EBY.

Also had to do a bit of circle work over Canberra on the way home.

Attachment 160 Attachment 161 Attachment 162 Attachment 163

Darren

Last edited by Darren Butterworth; 1st April 2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 15th August 2008, 03:00 PM

cheers, thanks for sharing, at least you got to take some photos.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:31 PM

Hi Rhys

Maybe/maybe not as I think that the large spectre of "security" will loom large and anyone stopping will be asked to move on. I also read somewhere that new fences are being erected as well.

However, I wrote to WAC in May asking that consideration be given to a dedicated Spotters area being provided as part of the upgrade and I will be making a formal submission when the Public Consultation process opens.

I also understand that a local Mayor is very supportive of a dedicated spotters/viewering area, that several well respected former aviation identities/Public Servants will be lobbying WAC and that various enthusiasts groups will also be making submissions.

Having said all that, WAC has already announced that the grand "vision" announced only three months ago in May will not proceed in that form and the number of gates provided will be considerably less than that originally intended but will supposedly be built at a later date.

I don't understand the reasoning and feel that WAC has "blinked" when faced with the costs which may have been more than expected (surely they would have known?)

Whatever the reasons, I think they've made a big mistake and should be building for tomorrow, today.

The Western Australian economy will certainly not stand still and WAC's folly also brings into question whether such important national infrastructure as airports should be in private hands.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:36 PM

"I also understand that a local Mayor is very supportive of a dedicated spotters/viewering area...."

Sorry, my bad - I meant spotters/viewing area - a case of brain and fingers not in gear.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:38 PM

I agree, i think that its probably a better thing for the governments to handle the airports, at least they can invest a lot of money into it...and understand full well the consquences etc, because WAC have been really slow in how they have been going about expansion...and it doesnt look good to announce a major grand plan only to come out 3 months later and say

"Ahh...hi Perth, we bit off more than we could chew, so suck on a lemon for a bit while we figure out how we are gonna pay and operate all this"

But do let us know when the process opens so we can all send in something