Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th October 2008, 01:58 PM

Default Aviation Medicals

Hi Guys,

I'm nearing the end of my first Class 2 Medical Certificate which I completed 4 years ago. I've just booked an appointment with a doctor to get it renewed.

Now if my memory serves me right, 4 years ago I was charged $99 for my medical with a doctor in Melbourne. I know that there are CASA fees but i can't remember what they were at the time.

The doctor I am getting my medical done at here in Newcastle has quoted me $170. Have the prices gone up or am I getting taken for a ride? Or are they including the $75 CASA fee in it too?

Cheers in advance.
Old 16th October 2008, 03:19 PM

$130 for the doctor
CASA fee is $75 (it came down in price)

I hold a class 1 so mine are more expensive !!
Old 16th October 2008, 03:20 PM

They could be including the $75 because some doctors send the paperwork down on there account others you pay with your credit card details on the paperwork and casa charge your card.

Hmmm you sure he did not quote you for a class 1? My class 1 doctor is around that amount !
Old 16th October 2008, 04:38 PM

Ahmet, your doctor may be collecting the CASA licence fee on their behalf, as Paul says. I'd suggest you give the doctor's receptionist a call, and find out what the actual consultation fee is, and whether that includes the CASA component or not.

For my renewals, the DAME charges me his fee, but I settle the CASA licence fee directly with them over the phone (for what it's worth, my Class 1 renewal last year involved a $132 DAME fee as well as a $75 CASA licence fee).
Old 17th October 2008, 07:30 AM

Thanks for that Guys.

I just gave them a call and another lady has quoted me $187.

It includes the CASA fee though so that is a bit of a relief.

I asked whether it was for a Class 1 or Class 2 and she said it was the same for both.
Old 17th October 2008, 09:18 AM

Can be dependant entirely on the doctor's consultation fee. I've gone to doctor's who charge you maybe $100 for the consult, and then I've gone to other doctor's who charge you $220 for a consult, .

The recent medical's I've had required you to fill out a CASA payment form which CASA then processes (funnily enough, always well ahead of when you receive your medical) the fee themselves.

Mick
Old 17th October 2008, 07:29 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Don't get caught by doing your medical too early as the expiry date of the new Medical Certificate is 12months from the date of the medical examination, not 12 months from the expiry date of the old medical certificate.

I got done on my last medical by doing it early because I was traveling, only got 10 months for my money.
Old 17th October 2008, 08:16 PM

That's unusual Grahame, because I always get my 12 months worth (have kept the same expiry date for 5 years now), and I always do mine about 1 month before it expires.

Mick
Old 18th October 2008, 07:24 AM

Grahame, I'd heard exactly the same thing and was expecting to see my long-standing expiry date go up in smoke, but to my surprise - and like Floody - I kept the original expiry date (extended by a year) after my renewal in August.

The current version of the CASA DAME Handbook (available online) states:

Quote:
Subsequently, in the usual course of events, CASA will issue a new class 1 medical certificate valid for a further 12 months from the date of assessment.
Assessment, in this case, probably refers to that undertaken by CASA's medical section, rather than the DAME. I didn't receive my new certificate until sometime in September, while covered by the interim re-certification.
Old 18th October 2008, 11:08 AM

If the medical is done within 30 days of expiry you will get 12 months onto your old expiry date.
If it is done greater than 30 days before expiry you will get 12 months from the date of the medical.