Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th January 2010, 03:19 PM

Default Sydney Airport upgrade

Hi all,
Could someone please give me an update as to the progress of the international terminal upgrade? I am flying out in a couple of weeks on Virgin and am not sure what to expect once I am through.
My brother flew out a couple of months ago and mentioned that there wasnt much open once you go through customs, is this still the case?
I like to get there early as possible but if most things are still under development I may not go so early.

Thanks
Carl
Old 5th January 2010, 04:48 PM

Carl can I assume you are referring to T1? That being the case, in November when I flew out I was surprised how much was open. Certainly all departing passengers, regardless of which pier their plane is parked at, go through one entrance on pier B side. When seeing friends off the other week whose aircraft was on pier C side, we were able to see them again after customs as they walked past the landside food court - a lot of fun. Anyways, there seemed to be lots of outlets opened when we went through, right up to and along the pier where gates 30 onwards are. After security you are fed into the BIG duty free area and beyond that there was a lot of business going on. The TRS office was still tucked away in a broom closet but the new one may be open by now (if not the temporary one is on the right as you walk towards where the pier splits into the 20s and 30s gates. It's up the end of a little corridor near the toilets). We didn't see what had happened on pier C with regards to new structures. I think there will be enough to keep you busy if you went through - and keep in mind, this was early November.
Old 5th January 2010, 04:48 PM

I'll also be flying from the Intl terminal in a couple of weeks and would love to hear what sort of photographing opportunities there are. Like Carl, I don't want to head out too early if too much of the window space has been taken up by shops...
Old 5th January 2010, 04:51 PM

I was there two months ago and was surprised how much was open. The food court is still in progress before customs but there is more and more opening particularly airside. I didn't go by the Virgin Pier but the rest of it was taking shape nicely. Most of the focus looked like it was turning towards the Gate 8-10 piers.

Mind you the only real part of interest airside for me is windows for photography! I'm not too interesting in eating or shopping but there was enough around to keep you amused.
Old 5th January 2010, 04:53 PM

Gareth there are still the big windows where the food outlet was/is on the left of the first pier you walk out along after the duty free. And there are LOTS of window vantage points all along the pier with gates 8, 9 and 10 as well as the gates 30 onwards pier. And, also, walking along the corridor that takes passengers to pier c will give you good views out to the apron between the 2 piers, so keep your camera out.
Old 5th January 2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Forwood View Post
would love to hear what sort of photographing opportunities there are.
The Observation Deck is still open, but taking photos from the food court is not really possible any more due to the air-side walkway.
Old 5th January 2010, 06:53 PM

An underrated area is a section opposite Gate 24 - you would walk past it but it gives great views. You can see down the pier of Gate 30-39 (?) - nice big windows, and you can see the runway too. Hardly anyone sits there for some reason. Whatever is at Gate 31, you feeling feel like you are standing right next to it
Old 5th January 2010, 08:58 PM

So once through you can access all of the departure gates then? This all sounds good.
I fly out at 3.50pm so I will be there early to take in all the views.

Thanks for your info.
Old 5th January 2010, 10:22 PM

Yep Carl - there's lots of ground to cover airside. You have access to all gates on all piers. Have fun
Old 6th January 2010, 12:29 PM

Cheers Steve, I may post a trip review when I get back.

Carl