Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th July 2008, 09:49 AM

[rant mode=1]

I honestly think they should check the IQ's of passengers now before you can sell them a ticket. If your a dolt imbecile who's going to think the plane is going to fall out of the sky at the slightest problem, then you don't belong on a plane. You don't belong outside your house.....

Yet they will willingly get in a car, drive at 100kmh on roads that are dubious at best, straight at a car also doing 100kmh, which may be driven by a fatigued, tired driver, someone who is drunk, or someone who is speeding his head off on some chemical cocktail thats kept them up for the past three days. Not to mention that the driver of the on coming car could only be 17 and out to prove some sort of point to his mates. And with the tremendous amount of driver training that happens these days....

When they get to the end of their journey in the car they don't get out, go straight to the nearest media outlet and say what a horrific experience it was and they all thought they were going to die ecetera, ecetera, ad infinitum eccetera.........

Let the cull begin

[rant mode=0]

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?

Last edited by Stephen Brown; 29th July 2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 29th July 2008, 09:58 AM

Default Rant allowed

I think you were more on the money with this previous contribution, Stephen: http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost....46&postcount=5
Old 29th July 2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
If newspaper reports are accurate (which I know is rare) I think the captain could have chosen his words better. We know what a landing gear door is but telling pax that "a door is open above the wheels" doesn't convey the innocuous nature of the problem to lay pax and sounds like it did the opposite for some, no matter how silly we think the pax were. Words like "wheel cover" or something come to mind as better terms to convey that it's no big deal.

I think a case can be made for educating crew on terminology to use with lay passengers to convey what is going on in a way that doesn't alarm them or leave ambiguous the seriousness of the issue. Especailly when media interview pax and report every word that is said.
I'd suggest the captain was probably just a tad busy going through various checklists to worry about absolute terminologies. Plus, I wouldn't count on the passenger's recount of what was said as absolute gospel either.
Old 29th July 2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
educating crew on terminology to use with lay passengers
Howabout "I'll fly the aeroplane, you just sit there and keep quiet"?
Old 29th July 2008, 01:25 PM

It was VH-OGK...earlier in the day it flew MEL-ADL-DRW and some of you may have seen some 0900 hrs TV footage of VH-OGK at the Adelaide terminal as part of a spiel about an unusually cold overnight in Adelaide ( 0.7 degrees )

3 early morning 0600 departures ( QF 670, 732 and 593 ) were delayed due to ice on the wings of the overnighting aircraft

I was under the localiser inside MBY as VH-OGK returned from Darwin ( QF 757) at 1650, all the gear doors were OK.

Little did I realise the fuss that would result from its next sector to MEL...a bit of airframe buffet from improper gear door fit.

Certainly not an emergency

I reckon VH-OGK had had a repaint....looked nice and shiny
Old 29th July 2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam P. View Post
Howabout "I'll fly the aeroplane, you just sit there and keep quiet"?
I agree with you.
Old 29th July 2008, 04:04 PM

Looks like the "K" rego's are jinxed at the moment.

It used to always be "H" aircraft for some reason that got into trouble.
Old 29th July 2008, 05:03 PM

Sky news in the UK were true to form, reporting that a door had opened mid flight, making it sound like a passenger doort. At least this time they got the name right, when reporting the 747 problem they were calling the airline Quantas.

Last edited by Ash W; 29th July 2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 29th July 2008, 07:15 PM

Perhaps pilots can adopt the following boarding announcements:

"Get in, sit down, shut up and hang on"
Old 30th July 2008, 08:43 AM

Fox and Friends (US morning show) on the Fox News Channel carried this story last night as well and for three lead ins to commercial breaks before the story was shown the commentators were throwing lines out like "what going wrong with Qantas..." etc

What a beat up.