Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th December 2008, 11:36 PM

Default Boeing Announces New 787 Schedule

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Boeing...-13804910.html

EVERETT, Wash., Dec. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA - News) today announced an updated schedule for its all-new 787 Dreamliner program that moves the commercial jet's first flight into the second quarter of 2009 and first delivery into the first quarter of 2010. The new schedule reflects the impact of disruption caused by the recent Machinists' strike along with the requirement to replace certain fasteners in early production airplanes.

"Our industry team has made progress with structural testing, systems hardware qualification, and production, but we must adjust our schedule for these two unexpected disruptions," said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Scott Carson.

Prior to the strike that halted much of the company's commercial airplane work from early September into November, the 787 was to make its first flight late in the fourth quarter of 2008. First delivery was slated for the third quarter of 2009.

"We're laser focused on what needs to be done to prepare for first flight," said Pat Shanahan, 787 program vice president. "We will overcome this set of circumstances as we have others in the past, and we understand clearly what needs to be done moving forward."
Old 12th December 2008, 07:04 AM

I think they should have made this 5th delay longer. Build in some buffer time and make sure you don't have to delay it again.

They are still allowing just over 6 months for flight testing which seems a bit ambitious still.
Old 12th December 2008, 10:34 AM

With these numerous delays to the 787 programme, I'm more interested to see what GE and RR have been able to improve on their GEnx and Trent1000 respectively.

For those with a curious mind like myself, go over to the GE Aviation website and check out their GEnx and GE90 'Theatre' to learn about these amazing engines. Quite fascinating for a novice like myself!

As for the test schedule.. well, I doubt it will be a traditional test schedule because from what I've read many of the non-flight testing has been done or will continue to be done.. leaving mostly the flying part of the test programme remaining. Of course if any hick-ups occur during this phase, that 6 month timeframe will once again seen too optimistic. Nonetheless, it will fly when it's ready to fly.

Check these 2 photo's by Matt Cawby of a 787
http://paineairport.com/kpae1471.htm
http://paineairport.com/kpae1472.htm

I'll still take a 77W thanks!

Last edited by Shameel Kumar; 12th December 2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12th December 2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post

Check these 2 photo's by Matt Cawby of a 787
http://paineairport.com/kpae1471.htm
http://paineairport.com/kpae1472.htm

I'll still take a 77W thanks!
Those pictures make it look like a plastic version of the 767. Even the rear tail section looks like a 767's.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:01 PM

Default Boeing's Dreamliner suffers $4.3b cancellation

Quote:
The aviation company Boeing says another multi-billion dollar order for its new dreamliner jet has been cancelled.

A company spokesman says the global economic downturn is to blame for a Dubai aviation company cancelling an order of 16 dreamliner jets valued at $4.3 billion.

A Russian carrier cancelled its order for 15 of the planes two weeks ago.

Boeing's Dreamliner jet is already two years behind its initial production schedule.
www.abc.net.au
Old 6th February 2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

Surely an order which most thought would never happen anyway. There will be a few more cancellations from minor players who acted too hastily.