Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th May 2008, 11:37 PM

I'm not nearly as good looking as that one, sorry. However...

While I see the point about the so-called 'lycra louts' taking up whole lanes... the truth is these guys are generally actually pretty quick - upwards of 50km/h being the norm. They don't hold up traffic that much!

I do however have a problem with this...
Quote:
encouraging cyclists to look for alternative modes of transport
A bike IS an alternative mode of transport! If it's anything like Sydney you'll find there are a fair proportion of people who actually cycle to work, ie as a means of commuting. I used to belt around Ross Smith Ave at YSSY when I was working at the heliport. It's just the way I get around - preferring to leave the car at home because a) my bike is usually quicker in peak hour and b) as an added bonus I get the the fitness and environmental benefits.

I also have a problem with this....
Quote:
Maybe the solution is to make them pay a rego fee and licence fee to ride in Lycra
Sigh. This chessnut gets rolled out whenever there is any sort of media story relating to cyclists. Anyone in Sydney especially will have seen the recent coverage of the so-called 'road rage' incident on Southern Cross Drive the other week. A letter in the paper said something about making cyclists pay road taxes. This was a reply from a mate of mine...
"Many people who drive and pay licensing fees also have an interest in cycling and the safety of cyclists. Road building funding comes from consolidated government revenue. Vehicle registration fees ... are largely made up of a weight tax - to repair the damage caused by these heavy vehicles which are largely used for the transport of a single occupant.... the cyclist is defraying expenses by causing minimal impact on the roads"
Most cyclists also drive a car, thereby paying rego fees and having a drivers' licence. Most drivers do not cycle. There is a certain lack of understanding as a result of this.

Motorists also like to complain that a bike in traffic 'slows them down'. Fact is, many studies have shown that over distances of 10km or less in typical city traffic, the bike will usually come out faster. This certainly makes sense in my experience.

End of the day? Cyclists and motorists continue to have run-ins. Remember the stakes are far higher for the guy on two wheels. Be careful and considerate out there!
Quote:
a "cog" of cyclists
Very clever, Craigo!
Old 21st May 2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
Am I correct in saying the roads are on private land and therefore Brisbane Airport Corp are entitled to make whatever rules they see fit within the boundaries of their land?
I could have swore there used to be a sign as you came off the airport roundabout that had words to the effect of "This is private land owned by BAC". I can't recall seeing it for some time now though ?

I often then wonder why the police sit in the median behind bushes trying to ping drivers on private land (and why they don't move cars on that park in the bushes etc)
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
I often then wonder why the police sit in the median behind bushes trying to ping drivers on private land (and why they don't move cars on that park in the bushes etc)
The private road signs are still on Lomandra drive coming from the Pinkenba end - if you ask the police why they were on private land they'll give you one of 2 responses "We are here at the request of the BAC" or "We can go anywhere we want".

I've got a good speed camera shot here from airport drive where 3/4 of the image is a bush in the median strip.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 23rd May 2008, 08:57 AM

I still don't get how they can police private land though? If I was loaded and owned a huge place with a 1KM driveway, does this mean they could set up shop outside my front door and ping visitors as they drove up my driveway if I had erected 10km/h speed limit signs ?
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:34 AM

Local Councils & QLD State Govt do particularly care what's going on in their areas, thus you'd need to negotiate with them before making plans -- as I assume BAC would have when considering cycling etc.

But according to someone above - they're there at the request of BAC, which sounds quite right to me.