Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th September 2008, 08:41 AM

Default QF A332 emergency 16R

At sheps right now and 34L closed with fire trucks around qf a332 unsure of rego. Any ideas why?

UPDATE: Currently under tow to international gate & new c/s

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images

Last edited by Bernie P; 18th September 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Updated info...
Old 18th September 2008, 09:33 AM

Hey guys just letting you know it was VH-EBI from Shanghai as QF130. Came over my house at about 8am thismorning quite low with all wheels down and made a very long downwind for 34L.

Tim
Old 18th September 2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bowrey View Post
Hey guys just letting you know it was VH-EBI from Shanghai as QF130. Came over my house at about 8am thismorning quite low with all wheels down and made a very long downwind for 34L.

Tim
Hey Tim,
Thanks for clarification on the correct r/way, I will fix thread title! It stopped pretty much at the intersection of 07/25 & 34l/16r... Pity i did not have camera with me at thd time...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 18th September 2008, 10:04 AM

I saw an A332 abort a landing from 34L about 7:30am - I assume it was a different aircraft.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
I saw an A332 abort a landing from 34L about 7:30am - I assume it was a different aircraft.

Yeah, saw that too, interesting though that it turned away from the runway immediately (before reaching it) and kept the wheels down all the way until it disappeared far away heading south-west.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:20 PM

Sounds like more than just something minor, anybody got something juicy on exactly what transpired?
Old 18th September 2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzysztof M View Post
Yeah, saw that too, interesting though that it turned away from the runway immediately (before reaching it) and kept the wheels down all the way until it disappeared far away heading south-west.
I have never seen it like that - the turn to go back south was pretty amazing. I didn't see any aircraft on the tarmac either taking off or landing - unless he pulled out because of the aircraft departing before it. It is always amazing seeing go arounds thats for sure.
Old 18th September 2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
I have never seen it like that - the turn to go back south was pretty amazing. I didn't see any aircraft on the tarmac either taking off or landing - unless he pulled out because of the aircraft departing before it. It is always amazing seeing go arounds thats for sure.
Ok, so here is a little more info...

Driving towards city from M5, and just as I am about to go into the airport tunnel, SQ 744 departing of 34L

By the time I got around up and onto the mound, there it was (QF A332) sitting just near the runways intersection with 25/07, with about 3 or 4 fire trucks around it...

After about 5 or so minutes, a tug arrived and took it towards the international gates (not sure which on though, sorry... ).

Would love to know what happened still, but it would look as though all is ok (at least) for the passengers!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 18th September 2008, 03:06 PM

Not sure if this is related to this morning, would doubt it seeing its many hours later but im sure I just heard on the scanner that 34L is going to be closed shortly for works.

On a side note to this UA840 just arrived back from Melbourne, 3pm, I believe using the callsign United 840Alpha, never heard the suffix in Australia before for a UA flight. And if what I heard is right then this flight is delayed until they re-open that runway. Have never heard a US departure use anything other than 34L/16R, because of Take-off weight
Old 18th September 2008, 03:07 PM
Prolific Member

From the comfort of my study, it sounds like a hydraulic problem and a possible lack of nosewheel steering as a result.

As always, I'm happy to be corrected.