Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th March 2009, 12:05 PM

Default Thunderbirds for Townsville?

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/

Quote:
Thunderbirds may show at Townsville air spectacular

MALCOLM WEATHERUP

March 17th, 2009

A SPECTACULAR air show, tipped to feature the
world's leading formation flying team the USAF
Thunderbirds, is pencilled in for Townsville later this year.

The Strand is expected to be packed with more than 100,000 spectators on the weekend of September 26-27 to watch what is shaping up to be a display to outshine the wildly successful Townsville air shows of the early 1990s.

The Townsville Bulletin understands negotiations are well advanced between the RAAF, the Townsville City Council, the civilian airport managers and other parties on the details of the two-day event.

A program will be put before Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon for his approval within a month.

The Bulletin understands that an afternoon to twilight aerial display is planned for Saturday, September 26, while Sunday may feature an open day at RAAF Garbutt, with a second flying program being considered. The centrepiece on the Saturday is likely to be the USAF Thunderbirds.

See the US Air Force Thunderbirds in action

Two of the elite display squadron's officers inspected the Townsville facilities and display air space earlier this month.

The Bulletin understands they were impressed with the facilities and the venue.

Air Commodore Phillip Byrne, who is in charge of ensuring that all arrangements meet feasibility study criteria, is in Townsville at the moment talking with the city council, local RAAF personnel, Townsville Enterprise and other groups. Air Commodore Byrne was reluctant to divulge details yesterday, emphasising that the final word was with the Defence Minister and he didn't wish to pre-empt or speculate on Mr Fitzgibbon's official decision.

The air show is expected to include the RAAF's traditional F-111s, which will perform a traditional `dump and burn' for spectators along The Strand.

There is also a possibility the popular Roulettes will strut their stuff. Other displays are expected to come from the C-17 Globemaster, Hercules, Caribou, F/A-18 Hornet, Hawk, Army Helicopters, Squirrel Pairs Display Team, Seahawk, War Birds and Red Berets.
Old 17th March 2009, 12:37 PM

Ummmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they the US Navy Thunderbirds?

Mick
Old 17th March 2009, 12:38 PM

Nope.

US Navy - Blue Angels
USAF - Thunderbirds
Old 17th March 2009, 12:53 PM

Ah huh. Thanks for that Nathan, I was getting the two mixed up.

Cheers

Mick
Old 17th March 2009, 08:15 PM

Looks like i'll be going to Townsville this year!!!

So is this airshow the RAAF airshow or just an airshow that Townsville puts on?
Old 17th March 2009, 09:57 PM

The Thunderbirds will be performing at Hickham AFB, Hawaii on 19/20September and Seoul, South Korea on 23/25 October. Nothing between 21/9 and 21/10 at this stage so MAYBE a tour downunder could be on the cards.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Airshow will be hosted by the RAAF as part of its annual program of shows around the country - probably RAAF Townsville's turn this year.

And possibly only on ONE day, due to cost considerations which happened at Nowra last year, I believe.

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I have read.
Old 18th March 2009, 01:29 PM

Confirming that they are in HNL on the 19th and 20th of September. Maybe some of you might prefer to watch them over here in Hawaii as part of the Hickam AFB open house day....lots more to see in the way of hardware that wont make it to Townsville. Just a thought for those of you doing some planning...plus I'm sure I can be around for a few shouts at some of my favorite establishments.

MS
Old 2nd April 2009, 03:32 AM

Here is a link to the recent Thunder in the desert airshow in Phoenix. The high wind noise on the camera mic cut off some of the scanner audio during the Thunderbirds segment.

http://73s.org/

MS
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:02 AM

I did some time in Townsville and this show used to be an annual event which peaked at around the time of the Battle of The Coral Sea 75th Anniversary (I think).
It's a free event, I think it was called the Sky Show. The crowds line The Strand (their water front) and all of the aircraft fly past over the ocean at low altitude. I can remember there being a B52 at one time, a Galaxy, plenty of 5th Aviations blackhawks, as well as commercial airlines etc.

I'll try to dig out some pics tonight, it was back in the late 80s so I'll scan them in if I can find them.

Darren
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Butterworth View Post
I did some time in Townsville and this show used to be an annual event which peaked at around the time of the Battle of The Coral Sea 75th Anniversary (I think)
You mean the battle that happened in 1942...67 years ago, Darren?!

The T-Birds will be flying over the Strand on the weekend, and there will be a large static show at the Army portion of the airport as well.

Cheers