Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th March 2010, 11:21 AM

Default Air NZ mercy mission saves man's life

From NZ Herald web site

Quote:
A Gisborne man who was left without essential medication when his luggage went missing on a Pacific Blue flight to Rarotonga says he owes his life to rival airline Air New Zealand.

Liver transplant patient Robert DeLong packed $1500 worth of essential immune suppressant medication in his checked-in luggage on the flight from Auckland in February.

It never arrived at his destination and there were no Pacific Blue staff in Rarotonga to help him out. The airline's call centre in Manila did not return his calls.

"I think it is irresponsible and outrageous," he said.

He contacted his doctors who told him he could last about three days without the medication.

Facing the prospect of flying home, he called Air New Zealand, who hatched a plan.

His neighbour Allison Lynch delivered replacement drugs to Gisborne Airport where it was given to a pilot who was flying to Auckland, who then passed it on to another pilot flying to Rarotonga.

His medication arrived the next day, free of charge.

"They literally saved my life," Mr DeLong said.

Despite the compensation, Mr DeLong is not happy with how his problems were handled.

"It was the holiday from hell."

- NZPA
Old 11th March 2010, 11:34 AM

Its good that there was a happy outcome, however if passengers keep disregarding the airlines requirements to not pack essential medication in carry on baggage, then it will continue to happen.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen H View Post
however if passengers keep disregarding the airlines requirements to not pack essential medication in carry on baggage, then it will continue to happen.
please explain? if airlines could get the luggage boarded on the correct flight then it wouldn't happen, its not exactly the busiest route in the world, the least you could expect is your baggage at the end of it, regardless of what is inside.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 11th March 2010, 12:20 PM

From Qantas:

Quote:
If you are taking prescription medicine you should carry a copy of your doctor's prescription and keep all medication in your carry on baggage
Quote:
Where possible, Qantas will endeavour to carry Checked Baggage on the same flight as the passenger. However, Checked Baggage may at times need to be transported on a later flight, in which case we will deliver your Checked Baggage to you unless you are required to be present for customs clearance.
The point is that airlines TRY to get checked baggage on the flight, but it is certainly not guaranteed. Things go wrong in the system. It is not unheard of to fly and have to leave baggage behind, and having ESSENTIAL medications for your holiday in your checked bags is not a good idea.

If you NEED something upon arrival, and it cannot be obtained where you are going, I certainly wouldn't be letting it out of my sight.
Old 12th March 2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
If you NEED something upon arrival, and it cannot be obtained where you are going, I certainly wouldn't be letting it out of my sight.
Jouer, set et Match Mr H!
Old 12th March 2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:

you need your baggage on arrival and you let that out of your sight...

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 12th March 2010, 10:42 AM

I don't need my socks and jocks as much as I need my medication.

I ALWAYS carry at least 2 week's supply of medication (with the prescriptions) with me in my carry on luggage every time I travel whether it be interstate or overseas.

I can wash and dry my 1 pair of socks and jocks at night but I can't pluck heart medication out of thin air.

In my opinion anyone who requires essential medication is a fool not to have it in their carry-on luggage.
Old 13th March 2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
I can wash and dry my 1 pair of socks and jocks at night...
Now there's a mental picture....