Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th July 2012, 01:02 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Default ADS-B Aircraft Blacklist

Stemming from another conversation around spurious ADS-B spikes; for those interested, I have been manning a blacklist of aircraft who are notorious for transmitting incorrect position reports.
These are only aircraft that have been operating in, out, or around YSSY.

Here is the unfortunate list of repeat offenders I have personally recorded over the past year:

7C4366 //Nauru Air Corporation 737-33A VH-NLK
7C1473 //Qantas Airways A-330-202 VH-EBP
7C6C6F //V Australia Boeing 777-3GZER VH-VPD
C81C17 //Pacific Blue Airlines 737-8FE ZK-PBK
E8023F //LAN Chile A-340-313X CC-CQF
7C6C71 //V Australia Boeing 777-3GZER VH-VPF
C817CC //Pacific Blue Airlines 737-8FE/W ZK-PBD
E8023E //LAN Chile A-340-313X CC-CQE

You might have your own list, or may have an update to mine. If you've noticed an improvement on any of the above aircraft, please let me know and I'll remove them.
I guess the only real way of knowing if any of these aircraft above still offend is for me to clear my plot's blacklist and compare the plot over time once again.

DaveReid puts it nicely:
Quote:
The only conclusion that can definitely be drawn from a spike is that something has produced an ADS-B transmission that SBS or RadarBox has been able to decode and interpret as an aircraft at a significantly longer ranger than normal.

This could be due to either atmospheric conditions causing reception range to be greater than usual (i.e. the position reports are being correctly decoded), a garbled transmission (one or more bits corrupted) which results in a spurious position report or, in a few cases, an aircraft which is incorrectly encoding its position.

The best way to determine which is the most likely explanation is to look at successive position reports from the same aircraft.
Hope this is of some use for other radar spotters around Australia.