Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st September 2011, 04:03 PM

Default Sydney to Vancouver and home via Hawaii

Hi all

Just after some info that can me out.
have decided to take the family (Myself,Wife and 4 yr old) away for a white Christmas (Sun Peaks in Canada) and would like to return via Hawaii for about a week of sun and warming up then home.

What i would like to do is to go Syd-Vancouver-Hawaii-Sydney.

Is it possible? without to many stopovers/layovers with one airline or would it be best just buying each sector separately .

Thanks for any input you could give?
Old 1st September 2011, 04:05 PM

One off the top of my head would be SYD-YVR on Air Canada. Coming back would be YVR-HNL on Westjet, then HNL-SYD on Jetstar.
Old 1st September 2011, 05:05 PM

Air Canada used to do this route a while ago didn't they?
with a 767.
Old 1st September 2011, 06:53 PM

If price is what you're after, then Ryan's suggestion is perfect. I think Hawaiian have/had a sale on to Australia from Hawaii, not too sure on that though. Air Canada and Hawaiian also fly YVR-HNL (obviously)
Old 1st September 2011, 08:52 PM

If cost is a factor, then you may as well change planes in HNL en route to YVR, ie: Jetstar SYD-HNL, then Westjet HNL-YVR. Both are pretty good budget airlines but I'm not sure how long the transit time is in HNL.
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan N View Post
One off the top of my head would be SYD-YVR on Air Canada. Coming back would be YVR-HNL on Westjet, then HNL-SYD on Jetstar.
Buying 3 x one ways is very expensive way to do it.

Give us some dates, a rough itinerary & will give it to our retail travel division & they can tell you best way to do it.

Cheapest options are probably via LA in both directions.

Do you have any Qantas frequent flyer points or other frequent flyer points or miles ?

Leaving it a bit late for Xmas. Most people book Xmas deals in February.

Key would be to be a bit flexible datewise.

Contact us direct if you want.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:10 PM

We are looking to arrive in Vancouver around the 20th of December but no later then the 20th( want to spend some time in Vancouver first) then leaving Vancouver around the 2nd January for aprrox 7 days in Hawaii then onto Sydney
As such the dates are approx at the moment and can be pushed a little

Thank you
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:03 PM

As another option have you considered flying into Seattle and then using bus transport to get to Vancouver which is only about 250 kms. Hawaiian Airlines flies to SEA from SYD (via Hawaii). Doing a sample booking on their website around the dates you provided, I was able to get a return price of approximately $AUD2500. Itinerary was for SYD-HNL-OGG-SEA on 19/12, SEA-HNL on 02/01/12 and HNL-SYD on 09/01. As US carriers go, Hawaiian is supposed to be pretty good and is one of the few remaining airlines to offer complimentary hot meals between Hawaii and the West Coast. I'm sure you are aware that Christmas time is very popular in the Aloha state, so be sure of available accommodation before booking any airline flights. As an aside, I have travelled to California twice in the past two years and on both trips I included a side-trip to Honolulu. Both times I found it cheaper to book the MEL-SFO segment on one ticket and the SFO-HNL on another. As I travelled on United between California and Hawaii, which only offers Buy-on-board, I took my own food onto all flights.

Good luck.
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks for all your replies especially Andrew Johnson
It has given me some good ideas.
I know that i leaving it a bit late but job and family problems got in the way off booking it earlier.
Old 5th September 2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

yet another option is to fly HNL/BLI.

Think AS now do it daily & you can't get any closer to Canadian border. Think one of the airport boundaries is the Canadian border. If not, much closer to YVR than SEA by about 94 miles as the crow flies.

VC had some cheap deals a few weeks ago, on new BNE/HNL & MEL/HNL nonstop, but think for your dates they are probably all gone now.