Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd June 2010, 05:35 PM

Default Flights just for the hell of it...timing?

In about two weeks I'm going to fly down to melbourne and back with my nephew, who lives in Melbourne and has never flown, and I'll be flying straight back to Sydney due work commitments. Expensive little day trip, but I love flying! How many hours do you think would be best to leave between arrival and depature time at MEL to avoid any difficulties?

In addition, are any flights in particular more likely to be operate by 767RRs?
Old 23rd June 2010, 07:15 PM

Depends where you are going in Melbourne. Any locals might be able to give you more details but with the freeway going right to the airport, the transport options are pretty good.

I flew down to Melbourne on an afternoon flight, spent 2 hours in the terminal and flew straight back. So many business people travel to a place for a couple of hours and fly straight back.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:54 PM

I have done this a few times myself, however staying the day in MEL. A very fun day indeed, mainly for the flight! The turn around time I think could be kept to quite a minimum (assuming you're staying in the terminal), with quick check in on the kiosk and through security. Too easy.

As for the 767RR aircraft, the schedule on SYD-MEL i find is completely random, so I guess it's just luck of the day.
Old 24th June 2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Brownbill View Post
In about two weeks I'm going to fly down to melbourne and back with my nephew, who lives in Melbourne and has never flown, and I'll be flying straight back to Sydney due work commitments.
on a recent trip from Perth the guy i was next to was flying to Sydney with a 90 minute turn around to fly back to Perth

reason - to pick up his son from SYD for the ex-wife
Old 24th June 2010, 09:38 AM

With no checked in baggage and on-line or kiosk check-ins, you only need to leave an hour or so if you don't leave the terminal.
Just remember, the shorter the turn around time, the less time you have for plane watching at the airport, so don't be in too much of a hurry.

As for flying on a 767RR, I know with Qantas that if you click on the flight number on their website when booking (or anytime), it tells you the plane you will be flying on and any inclusions such as breakfast, lunch etc.
I'm not sure about the other airlines.
Old 24th June 2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks for your replies guys! much appreciated.