Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd June 2009, 11:01 PM

Does anyone know what altitude they were flying at? Because i can only presume that if it fell straight from that altitude and the pilot didn't glide it down or anything like that, that it would simply break up into millions of pieces when it hit the water?
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:01 PM

Default Troubling indications

The evidence, sketchy as it is, suggests to me some kind of catastrophic break-up of the aircraft at or above FL350. No Mayday call, no EPIRB signal, no trace of the a/c as yet.

With one report suggesting there were ACARS messages reporting both a short circuit of some kind with the electricals, as well as a loss of cabin pressure, an electrical fire combined with oxygen mask deployment could plausibly result in an explosive combination. At cruise speed in a violent thunderstorm the debris field would surely be very widely spread, making for an almost impossible recovery task.

I certainly hope the CVR and FDR are found - it would be extraordinary if no trace of the a/c were located at all. And very hard on friends and relatives in that kind of scenario, with no 'closure'.
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:05 PM
Banned

Certianly doesnt rule out terrorism, no mayday or distress call, almost Pan Am 103 like
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:41 PM

Post Possible debris find

In breaking news a ham radio operator appararently claims to have intercepted Brazilian Air Force radio transmissions to the effect that aircraft seats have been spotted some 180 nm north east of Natal on Brazil's north east coast, the same location at which a Tam Airlines crew reported seeing 'patches of orange [fire]' during their westbound transit.

The water depth in the area is reported to exceed 1,000 metres, making recovery of the recorders a logistical challenge of some complexity.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
The water depth in the area is reported to exceed 1,000 metres, making recovery of the recorders a logistical challenge of some complexity.
Not too bad, easy enough for a small sub anyway.

It's finding it that is the obvious problem, and they might never find it if it broke up at 35,000 feet...though I would expect them to.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:06 AM

And the cost...i'd imagine the cost would be a factor in the retrieval/search for the wreckage and the boxes. But i suppose they can't not go look for it even if it does cost a fair bit of coin. They wouldn't not go down there to look for it would they?
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:31 AM

Default Recovery a matter of national pride

With a French airline, a French aircraft and the majority of passengers French, I would say the odds are high that France will pursue the recovery effort as a matter of national importance.
Old 3rd June 2009, 05:19 AM

If the US Navy can recover a nuclear bomb that was accidently dropped into the ocean way back in the 1960's, i think modern submersibles can recover the FDR/CVR's as long as they survived the impact. Water depth is reported to be around 4,700m which is within the reach of modern submersibles.

I'm sure Airbus, along with Air France will do all they can to recover as much information as possible to work out why the A330 was lost.

It certainly is looking like a catastrophic structural failure due to turbulance or massive electrical failure leading to loss of control.
Old 3rd June 2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien b View Post
Water depth is reported to be around 4,700m which is within the reach of modern submersibles.
But the pressure at that depth may well have crushed any CVR/FDRs that may be on the ocean floor, possibly rendering them useless...assuming they can be found.
Old 3rd June 2009, 08:52 AM

The pressure at 4,700m would be equivalent to approximately 234kg/cm2 or 6,783 PSI.

I can't find the exact parameters of what the black box can handle in terms of deep sea pressure. If anybody has them please post them up.