Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2008, 12:09 AM

Default Canberra Airport Terminal Upgrades

Did a search and found nothing, so I thought I would start off this thread regarding the Terminal Upgrades at Canberra Airport.

Basically, Canberra Airport will build a new terminal, along with new carparks, and a revamped road system. It has started off with basic works such as the relocation of the Taxi Rank past the Qantas terminal to the west, a covered walkway to the new Hire Car parking which is found near Brindabella Airlines hanger, along with the relocation of the Qantas Staff Parking. The old Qantas staff parking is now a taxi holding bay, and the old taxi holding bay is now Terminal Cct, a Bus Bay and a Loading Zone. The old Terminal Cct is now an exit from the carpark, which includes the old Rental Car Parking area. Roadworks have started around the airport, where the road will be duplicated and reformed to prevent congestion found currently. Works are also currently being performed inside the terminal, the Qantas Admin area across from the Rental Cars is boarded up along with an area next to the rental cars. Also the following as from canberraairport.com.au
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canberraairport.com.au
  • A doubling of check-in counters from 16 to 32;
  • The installation of two new aerobridges, taking the total to six;
  • A trebling of the baggage belt capacity;
  • An additional 1300 car parking spaces taking the total number of spaces to 2500; and
  • A quadrupling of Club lounge capacity to more than 6000m2.
On a side note and not overly related to the Airports expansion, but ACTION have now also started services to Majura Business Park/Brand Depot (With Deanes Buslines now cancelling all weekeday services to Brand Depot) along with Brindabella Business Park and Fairbairn Business Park. Routes are 28 from/to Woden in Peak Hours Only, Route 10 from Belconnen and Civic on daytime services, along with many Xpresso Services.

Some photos taken today of the terminal exterior showing he extension to the walkway and signage added.

Taken as a 767-300 moves into the bay. This aircraft was still there when I left at 9pm (VH-OGM I believe)

Here is a timeline of the projects at the airport
Old 5th June 2008, 12:54 AM

They did a great job on the road and path surface from the hire car park. The rocks they sealed it with got caught in my brand new suitcase and buggered the wheels, and of course no where near to get a baggage trolley. Just hope the rest of the works are done better. Will see when I go 'home' next week.
Old 5th June 2008, 06:50 AM

Angry Shame about the passengers!

Canberra Airport in Winter is not the place to arrive wanting a taxi - you now have to traipse 100 metres west to the re-located taxi rank and be exposed to icy wind and rain or whatever else the elements comprise on the day.

It's hard to see how that can be called "minor inconvenience".
Old 5th June 2008, 08:18 AM

I am in CBR once a week at the moment and the covered walkway does not go all the way to the rental cars which are now out in the open. It would be a good 800m walk from the rental car desk to the cars. Indeed any other airport in the world would offer a bus such is the distance. It adds a good 15 minutes onto your rental collection and drop off time. The rental car companies have been swamped with complaints and are none too happy about it either.

I understand a that a multi-story car park is going in hence why the rentals had to be moved and they will remain in the current location for the next 24mths or so.

At least the taxi area is covered but the rentals are out in the open.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:32 AM

Aww poor babies!!!

Yeah it's a fair stumble to the hire car parking. It's even further to get from the GA parking area, past the hire car parking to the desks, then BACK to the hire car parking to pick up your vehicle, as I did last weekend...
Old 5th June 2008, 12:18 PM

Adam P. Are you doing that weekly as I am? If so, can I get a lift?
Old 5th June 2008, 12:45 PM

Nope! Flew down Saturday, sadly got stuck by the weather and guess what, aeroplane's still there. Plan evolving to go get it out tomorrow I hope...
Old 5th June 2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam P. View Post
Nope! Flew down Saturday, sadly got stuck by the weather and guess what, aeroplane's still there. Plan evolving to go get it out tomorrow I hope...
Now who's the "poor baby"...won't even fly it home through a bit of cloud?!?!?
Old 5th June 2008, 04:50 PM

Oi!
Old 5th June 2008, 06:45 PM

might go and check CBR out when i'm down there this weekend...Does Tiger fly there??