Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Trevena View Post
The KC-30A's as I understand, can be configured to suit either Troop transport (ie Seats Fitted) or Fuel Tanks installed (if I understand correctly)
The KC-30As always carry refuelling tanks AND seats... The seating config is the same 2-class layout as QF A332s.

There was talk about a VIP A332 a few years ago and again recently when Airbus offered up a sixth KC-30A at a discount rate, but there is little appetite for it within the RAAF or government due to cost and ongoing certification issue with the KC-30As.

The BBJs are leased, not owned by the RAAF, and are maintained by QDS. The only fingerprints the RAAF has on them is the crewing and very minor line maintenance. It is likely the leases for these - which expire in 2014 - will be rolled over for a few years, as they are economical, reliable, and suprisingly capable.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
I woudn't have thought the engine technology on A330's would have improved that dramatically since the RAAF got their BBJ's...
Correct - the CF6s on the A332s and the CFM56s on the BBJs are similar generation engines. The CFMs - being smaller - would obviously pump out less crap...but I doubt that is a major consideration when choosing a VIP jet! Size, range and mission configuration would all rate higher.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Trevena View Post
We must the the only nation that when the PM Fly's overseas, arrives in a tiny jet, compared to the B777's / B747's that are being used by most Head of States.
We are one countries that operate VIP fleet in the first place internationally.

Our Head Of State flies "commercial" when she comes to Australia on a chartered BA.

Should the RAAF be performing a VIP function anyway? Sub contract it?

The Federal government sub-contacted a key role of coastal protection many years ago. I would prefer to have Coastwatch be performe by Defence aircraft and contract commercial carriers on demand for VIPs
Old 11th April 2012, 12:32 PM

bring back the 707 and let John Travolta fly her around , it would be a great way for our PM to promote the carbon tax O/S