Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th October 2011, 09:21 PM

Virgin have special fares in place for 'ex-Qantas' passengers... a fare increase seems almost logical to dissuade unnecessary new bookings & to keep seats open for stranded pax first.
Old 29th October 2011, 09:28 PM

I've been watching this brew for quite a while, and hope that it will be resolved soon. I live and work in a remote aboriginal community in the middle of the desert about 1300km from Alice Springs. I'm due to go on leave on November 10 and fly out of Alice Springs back to Sydney with Qantas, as they are currently the only airline that flies out of the tourist town.

Regards,
Warren.
Old 29th October 2011, 09:33 PM

Qantas will be back flying tomorrow morning...

Fair Work Australia will rule that arbitration is required and to come back in 21 days with an answer...

Put 20 onnit!
Old 29th October 2011, 09:35 PM

If they're keeping Jetstar, etc. flying, what about jetconnect? Surely they ain't really Qantas mainline either are they?

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC
Old 29th October 2011, 09:36 PM

Jetconnect are still flying Joe.

Jetphotos.net
Airliners.net
Old 29th October 2011, 09:38 PM

Jetconnect is still flying, as it is an NZ Subsidaty, and was mentioned specifically as still flying
Old 29th October 2011, 09:45 PM

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC

Last edited by Joe Frampton; 29th October 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 29th October 2011, 10:18 PM

AJ got his pay rise because he has demonstrated that he has the gonads to stay the course. Agree with him or not, he is certainly not a shrinking violet.

It will be interesting to see how the union-backed Labor Government will get involved, I have already seen Albanese on TV having a couple of digs at Qantas. The Government has petitioned Fair Work Australia to terminate all protected actions currently undertaken in the industrial dispute and I believe that the union has said it will strenuously fight against that. Interesting times.
Old 29th October 2011, 10:59 PM

The impact for Qantas to shutdown temporarily is huge and I sincerely hope the Government can take some immediate action as follows:

1. Immediately suspend implementation of curfew at Sydney Airport until the backlog is cleared.
2. Immediately liaise with Sydney Buses, CityRail, V/Line, Queensland Rail, Adelaide Metro, ACTION and any other Metropolitan and Regional Transport Operators to provide emergency feeder service for straded passengers, for example to use a Disel Hauled 4x 8 Car OSCAR train to operate between Sydney and Melbourne.
3. Immediately to call an emergency Parliament meeting to revoke the Qantas Sale-off Act to Temporarily Nationalise Qantas on a basis of National Interest by buying out shares available that the Australian Government to become the largest shareholder (I emphasis it should not be a 100% buyout) that the airline can operate and manage properly for a period of time before handing back to the market.
4. Consider to Temporarily allow other International Airlines such as Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Emirates and Ethiad to operate under strict conditions to feeder stranded Qantas passengers domestically. Such arrangements must cease when operations at Qantas returns normal.

I would describe the decision by Alan Joyce is disgraceful. He is definitely damaging the Australian brand also is not working for the National Interest of Australia. Should his claims about Qantas' financial situation is true, he should call the Government to bail Qantas out because everyone knows Qantas is too big to fail.

I hope the Aviation watchdog can take suitable action to avoid such things happening ever again.

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 29th October 2011, 11:25 PM

Your postings never fail to make me laugh, Arthur