Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th October 2008, 06:38 PM

hehe i remember flying business from per->syd and then first from syd->mel in 2001 (I would've been about 10, my brother 7).

My brother acted up a bit to syd (still does!)

on the way to mel i think me & him were too amazed by sitting in first class, not to mention it being Nalanji dreaming VH-EBU, although it was a short 1.5 hours and mr bean was on!
Old 16th October 2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
Question is, are babies allowed in business? I'm sure they are but it may be an unwritten law that may peeve other people off if the baby doesn't stop crying for the whole trip!

Has anyone done this or had any experiences with babies in business class?
You will be given better treatment than general pax.

Yes kids/babies are welcome in all classes by all airlines. Some companies put on special flights with nannies, Emirates during the day for example, but not on this route.

Some kids cry, some don't, some might cry on take off or landing due to ear's popping, most just sleep, on a overnight flight.

While young give them a toy aircraft, and show them at the gate, the aircraft something they can identify to what is about to happen.

They might be young, but they are not dumb.

The worst you can experience is the stares of fellow pax. They look at the baby and think fark, count them as they pass

Most babies will cry on take off and landing, but they are often gar'ing most of the flight or asleep.

As for the fellow pax's, doesn't the noise canceling headphones come into play, even my cheap $100 Sony block out everything.

Personal experience, Lady next to me was freaking out, everyone stared her down on boarding, she started to feel sick under pressure, I said to her wait until we take off. We took off, swapped seats so she had an exit, and apart from 15 mins crying the baby was silent until landing.

As for the kids that running around an aircraft while in flight, there is the coat hanger, sorry I was just resting my arms.

Seriously, the people in business and first and know how to fly, have their kids under better control than the once off travellers.

Last edited by Tom Lohdan; 16th October 2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: missed an f on off
Old 16th October 2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Herbert View Post
My daughter is 3.5 yrs old & she has travelled in Business Class (on SQ) 8 times (4 return flights). Each time the Singapore Girls have treated her exceptionally well. She has been a pretty good flyer from day one so we are quite fortunate. But even if she did carry on a bit there is only so much you can do & if that fails then you have to wait it out....

On a couple of our flights we have had other babies/kids in the Business cabin & they have been a little raucous, but there really isn't any point getting all fussed about it. No matter what class you travel the seats are there to be occupied by anyone of any age, so complaining about it is completely pointless, esecially as the airline is really only worried about the $$ & return patronage.

However you would have a case to complain if the rugrats were pulling interior panels off & having food fights etc.....
I would be concerned if that was happening in any class.

As mentioned earlier, people that can travel business class probably travel more than most and probably know how to keep their kids under control.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 17th October 2008, 01:25 PM

Not that it's of any value to you on a NAN flight, but but QF F Window seats in row 4 have indentations to fit basinets (quite handy for a laptop / books / newspapers / etc as I don't have kids).

Some J and Y bulkhead seats have drop down benches where you can place basinets. Generally, I've found facilities on most airlines.

I'd expect most airlines can't afford to have a potential customer drop to a lower class seat (or change airlines) because they weren't providing the service.

Finally, Fiji has been one of the most kid friendly countries I've been to. I'd be surprised if their national airline's crew didn't pamper you as soon as they see the bub.
Miles: 651,193; Hours: 1,484:43; Flights: 526; Routes; 218; Airports: 101; Airlines: 47; Countries:27
Old 20th October 2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hothersall View Post
I would be concerned if that was happening in any class.
As mentioned earlier, people that can travel business class probably travel more than most and probably know how to keep their kids under control.
Believe me it happens. In 2007 on one of the flights home there was a kid, probably 3-4yrs sitting in seat 24A, with his Mum next to him. He was using the crayons given to him by the Singapore Girls & a black permanent marker given to him by his mother to showcase his drawing skills not on the paper but on the cabin walls. When his Mother finally stopped him he cried loudly & punched & kicked the walls for 2 straight hours. Little barsteward wouldn't stop. The point here being that when kids get into a state it is damned near impossible to stop them until they are ready to stop themselves.

But yes you & Tom are correct in saying that those that travel more frequently have a few tricks up our sleeves, as do the flight attendants. It doesn't always work but alot of bribery is a great thing....

SQ220 SYD-SIN -J- Jan21
SQ219 SIN-SYD -J- Feb14
Old 27th October 2008, 10:31 PM

I remember my last flight to London (in economy... grrr), I had a kid sitting behind me kicking my seat for the whole flight and guess where his parents were - in business class!!!!! They came back once in the 14hrs from Singapore to London to check on them, and that was it!!

At least if the kids (at least the younger ones) are in business, their feet won't be able to reach the seat in front.
Old 28th October 2008, 02:39 AM

Sorry but I'm of the "opinion" that people with crying babies should either stay home until the kid is old enough not to cry or should be required to fly in economy. Bottom line in my book is simply why should I or any other passenger (regardless of location) be subjected to the annoying noise of a crying baby...its no different to any other type of disturbance. I paid my money and have a right to not be disturbed...just like everybody else...what right do you have to inflict your child and its associated noise/bad behavior on me or others. That said, I do understand that at a very young age babies cry for numerous reasons...some are obvious..others not and neither the parents or anyone else can really control that...they may do their very best...but are not always successful.

Older kids causing trouble can be dealt with (and are) if not by their parents then by the crew....and in some cases the parents are just as guilty as their kids..and just as irresponsible. A word to parents...you may think that your child is just beautiful, perfect, adorable. what ever....the rest of us dont share that view..we dont want to hear from or about it...we dont want anything to do with it...we dont want to share your joy/pain...if you choose to bring it out in public then you own it and are responsible for any problems or disturbances it causes. Do everyone else a favor...think twice before travelling with a child in any confined space...not just an aircraft.

I'm not really anti-kid, I am anti-irresponsible and non thinking parents. Yes crying and badly behaved kids on airplanes are one of my pet peeves

Have a nice day

MS
Old 28th October 2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Sorry but I'm of the "opinion" that people with crying babies should either stay home until the kid is old enough not to cry or should be required to fly in economy. Bottom line in my book is simply why should I or any other passenger (regardless of location) be subjected to the annoying noise of a crying baby
Maybe YOU should stay home and let the parents with kids fly instead. After all they are paying for more tickets for them and their children representing larger income for the airline that you with your single ticket.

Your attitude stinks mate, people such as yourself are the main cause of intolerance in todays society.

I hazard to guess but it sounds like you have no children yourself?
Old 28th October 2008, 09:47 AM

I'm with Mike. If you have a kid that can sit still fine, if not don't get on.

The rights of someone who just so happened to have bred don't override everyone elses.

Nick it's got nothing to do with intolerance, it's got to do with respecting other people. I respect your right to breed. I respect your right to travel freely within this world. That respect diminishes if I have paid money that I have worked hard for to go on a trip somewhere that is interrupted by whatever disturbance.

If you were sitting in business class and I started kicking the back of your seat and screaming you wouldn't like it would you? No I don't think so. So why do we excuse a child when we wouldn't excuse anyone else.

I think you need to take a step back Nick and learn about the word respect. Respect for others, respect for personal privacy and space.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 28th October 2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Brown View Post
I'm with Mike. If you have a kid that can sit still fine, if not don't get on.

The rights of someone who just so happened to have bred don't override everyone elses.

Nick it's got nothing to do with intolerance, it's got to do with respecting other people. I respect your right to breed. I respect your right to travel freely within this world. That respect diminishes if I have paid money that I have worked hard for to go on a trip somewhere that is interrupted by whatever disturbance.

If you were sitting in business class and I started kicking the back of your seat and screaming you wouldn't like it would you? No I don't think so. So why do we excuse a child when we wouldn't excuse anyone else.

I think you need to take a step back Nick and learn about the word respect. Respect for others, respect for personal privacy and space.
Which is exactly what I was saying earlier. I think you're in the minority by a long way here Nick!!