Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th June 2008, 12:54 PM

My most favorite aircraft to fly in was the 727 ! Always comfortable and plenty of room (esp at the front !).
Old 14th June 2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

I have a love of three holers B727, MD-11, DC-10 love em
Old 14th June 2008, 01:40 PM

744, simply because it was the first ever aircraft I stepped inside of. QF11 in September '91. I was 7 years old. I only wish I was smart enough to get her registration all those years a go!!!

It would be closely followed by the A330 though, I think they look very sleek and stylish any any airlines paint.

Cheers

M
Old 14th June 2008, 01:53 PM

Default Personal favourites from a pax perspective

Historical favourites:

Concorde which I flew a number of times in 1982 and 1983 between London and New York - it felt like a Fokker Friendship in terms of body and window size but I enjoyed the 'second take-off' acceleration thrust during transition from subsonic to supersonic, the Mach speedo (which was the main IFE), seeing the curvature of the Earth from the 45,000 feet plus cruising altitude, and even the very bumpy approaches caused by its poor aerodynamics at low speeds. But apart from that I always thought of a Concorde flight as a long lunch in a grey leather seat preceded by what seemed back then like obsessive security screening including luggage strapping by BA at Heathrow!

DC-10 - a disaster of a design (poorly concealed by the MD-11 'renaming') but certainly in business and first class extremely comfortable and quiet compared to their contemporaries in the late 1980s.

Fokker Friendship which I first flew in 1961 between Sydney and Wagga Wagga - loved the great view from the windows unobstructed by wings.

Sunderland Flying Boats - only flew in one in Fiji but they were ponderous and noisy things that you thought would never take off. They had a charm that was captured by the Film Australia documentary 'The Last of the Sunderlands' when the Rose Bay service ceased in the late 1960s. Co-incidentally the Museum of Sydney has a current exhibition of Sunderlands memorabilia.

Current day favourites:

B747-400s - love the upper deck as it still has the feel of a small aircraft and a window seat with capacious storage lockers.

A380 - yet to try it but if I could win Lotto the SQ flying bedroom would be the only way to go to London!

Least favourite:

Any a/c but especially the B767s without individual air control nozzles and which blast cold air down the wall and window without regard to the window seat passenger's comfort.

Any a/c where you can't read a laptop screen if the pax in front has the seat reclined.

And the Dash 8 for its inadequate storage space and misnamed 'Premium Hand Luggage' which goes in the hold. And seat 1A only has about 2 inches of legroom with certain entry-partition configurations. It should not even be in the seat allocation system!
Old 14th June 2008, 02:22 PM
ChrisG.

Andrew,
I've just come back from a fairly lengthy stint of flying PC-12's overseas and have to agree, the PC12 would definitely be my favourite, .

For a single engine turboprop, to be able to do 250kts TAS at up to 30,000ft, now THAT is good, .

Cheers

Chris
Old 14th June 2008, 02:41 PM

...and the boys who flew them.

Last edited by Adam P.; 14th June 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: (pic shamelessly nicked from pprune)
Old 14th June 2008, 10:41 PM

A332 for me, i love them, i think they look stylish, they are quiet, comfortable andi just love them in JQ colours
Old 15th June 2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
Bomber Tupolev TU-95 Bear, you can't dream up a plane so graceful.
Have to agree with that, but graceful is not what one would describe the sound as.
One of my goals in life is to get close enough to a "Bear"(will settle for an AN-22) just to hear those big Kuznetsovs and their huge contra rotating props beating the air into submission.
One might wonder what would have been the outcome if the USAF/Boeing/P&W et al had gone down the turboprop route and developed the B-29/50 family further... oh wait a minute!!!
Old 15th June 2008, 09:26 AM

747-400 (RB211-powered), DHC-8-100/200, and Airbus A300B4 - in that order!
Old 15th June 2008, 09:52 AM

LOCKHEED L 188 ELECTRA, CONVAIR 440, FOKKER F 27, BOEING 727's
steve k