Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th May 2008, 02:54 PM

Default Qantas strike set to cause delays

Quote:
Qantas strike set to cause delays
May 28, 2008 02:47pm

QANTAS passengers face possible delays tomorrow as hundreds of maintenance engineers stop work over a wage dispute.

Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA) federal secretary Steve Purvinas said workers in Sydney would stop work from 8am to midday (AEST) and from 6pm-10pm in Brisbane.

On Friday, workers will walk off the job from 8am to midday in Melbourne, he said.

Mr Purvinas said the industrial action would involve about 80 per cent of the 1500 members across the country and affect domestic and international flights.

However, he believed the impact on flights was likely to be minimal, as he expected Qantas to bring in replacement workers.

Mr Purvinas said they had been forced by Qantas to take industrial action after the company refused to allow employees to hold short feedback meetings on the progress of negotiations.

"We were left with no other option but to stop work to provide the much-needed feedback to our members," he said.

Mr Purvinas said it was unfortunate that negotiations had stalled.

He said Qantas had offered employees a 3 per cent wage increase, which had been rejected by employees.

"We find that grossly inadequate considering we haven't had a pay rise for two-and-a-half years, and inflation is well above four per cent," he said.

Mr Purvinas said that since the stop-work meetings were organised, Qantas had cancelled its meetings with the ALAEA.

"It was their decision which forced us to have the stop-work meetings on Thursday and Friday," he said.

Last week, Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon said the airline offered fair pay and conditions, which were the best in the Australian airline business and among the most secure in the world.

He said that as well as the 3 per cent increase and 10 per cent superannuation contribution, engineers were in line for bonus payments or shares when company targets were met, which had amounted to $2000 last September.

Planned strike action earlier this month was called off after ACTU president Sharan Burrow intervened, saying the association would accept a rise of between three and five per cent.

Engineers hold considerable industrial power in the aviation sector because planes cannot fly without clearance from engineers.

Comment was being sought from Qantas.
Source: news.com.au

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images

Last edited by Bernie P; 28th May 2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: editing...
Old 28th May 2008, 05:30 PM

About time they stopped work.
Old 28th May 2008, 08:20 PM

Believe it when it happens.Heard this many times before from the ALAEA.All my years in the industry they have been full of a lot of NORTH WINDS.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...-27977,00.html
Old 30th May 2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
Believe it when it happens.Heard this many times before from the ALAEA.All my years in the industry they have been full of a lot of NORTH WINDS.
Are you a believer now Swaggy?
Old 30th May 2008, 10:53 PM

QF 764 ADL-SYD was std 1650 but TJG only achieved wheels up off RWY 23 at YPAD at 1745 with touchdown at YSSY on 34L at 1946. The strike was cited to pax as the cause of TJG's late arrival into ADL with consequential knock on effect of late departure.
Old 31st May 2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

JQ30 from BKK to MEL sat on the tarmac after landing for 1.5 hours before it could dock at the gate.

A real shame.
Old 31st May 2008, 05:46 PM

Default Keeping passengers captive

I really can't understand how any airline can do this to people. It is surely possible to get some stairs and let the passengers off somewhere somehow if that kind of delay is going to be involved.

The one the other day in Perth where people were kept aboard for 4 hours is even more incomprehensible to me.

We're not talking here about keeping people on board for safety reasons - these are just straight operational stuff ups that shouldn't happen.

You wouldn't leave someone stuck in a lift that long without calling the rescue squad!
Old 31st May 2008, 05:56 PM

Yes, you're right Phil, you wouldn't be stuck in a lift for that long..... unless the lift people were on strike, just like this.

Maybe if Qantas would stop being so tight they wouldn't have this problem.

Really, is 5% much to ask for when they're still making such huge profits?

Mick
Old 31st May 2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
Yes, you're right Phil, you wouldn't be stuck in a lift for that long..... unless the lift people were on strike, just like this.

Maybe if Qantas would stop being so tight they wouldn't have this problem.

Really, is 5% much to ask for when they're still making such huge profits?

Mick

Its not at all asking for too much, its where inflation is in the country 3% is a joke thats 10 yr ago wage increases in EBA's. Our costs have gone up as well in employers no matter who they are need to take that into account, I cant just add a surcharge or put my fares up when I want to to cover my increase in costs.