Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2012, 06:48 PM

Location: South Western Sydney under the approach path of YBSK
Default Malev halts operations

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8D30E920120203

Today on Feburary the 3rd Hungary Airline Malev halts opertaions
Is this the curse of Oneworld?
First Mexicana
Now Malev?
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:49 PM

"6 am 03 February 2012 – Malév ceases its operation

Based on the Board of Directors’ decision Hungary’s National Airline ceased its operation to minimize its losses. According to this statement, after nearly 66 years of continuous operation, Malév aircrafts will not depart from 6 am 03 February.

“Unfortunately, the event occurred which we had a greatest fear of and we wanted to avoid with might and main. Although, until the latter days there were prospects to continue operation and the trust of our passengers is unbroken, our partners lost their trust due to the information published in the last days and they started to ask for payment of their services in advance. This speeded up the cash outflow and the situation of the airline became untenable. It is also known that the owner, despite the best intentions, is unable to provide additional financial resources to operate after the EU decision. Considering all these the Board decided to order the cease of operation of the Hungary’s National Airline. We apologize to all of our passengers.” - announced CEO Loránt Limburger.

The Call Centre (from Hungary +36 40 21 21 21, from abroad +36 1 802 11 11) informs the Airline’s passengers about the way how they can get to their destinations and the possibilities of compensation.

Passengers entitled to rerouting

According to the government regulation which entered into force on 31st January 2012, assistance can be provided to those passengers who purchased their valid tickets before Malév cease and whose travel dates are on the suspension day or on the following three calendar days. In addition, to those who already travelled to their destination on the suspension day or before and posses valid return tickets on Malév flights on a date not later than 29th February 2012. Those who are entitled are going to have assistance from Malév by rerouting their tickets to other flights or other modes of transportation."

Last flight was from Helsinki to Budapest..

Photos at: http://flickr.com/kieran380747 and https://www.facebook.com/Windsweptaviation/

Carriers flown: QF, VA, EK, NZ, BA, KA, CX, AS, BE, JQ, TR, SK, LH
Types flown: 744, 738, 737, 743, A380, A340, DH8, A320, ERJ190, 736
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:24 PM

Unhappy

Got a feeling we will see a lot of European carriers shut down in 2012
Old 4th February 2012, 07:25 AM

I doubt whether there is any voracity to this " news" release . The quoted link in a previous post is dead , couple that with the fact that there are Malev aircraft airborne and operating services within European airspace at this time , and I think we can reach the conclusion that this is a bogus claim ..

Dave C

Ps : I now note that all the Malev aircraft airborne in European airspace appear to be heading for Shannon ! .. Storage or positioning to US ? ... Mmmmm.. Perhaps I need to reconsider my post .. Time will tell ..

Last edited by David C; 4th February 2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Additional info .
Old 4th February 2012, 07:40 AM

The " Skyliner " website is confirming that the Malev aircraft are positioning from Budapest to Shannon on return to the lessor ILFC .. So the news is no confirmed .. Very sad days and as Andi says there may be more to come ..

Dave C
Old 7th March 2012, 11:47 AM

Interesting to see in the recent updates on www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.php that the ex-Malev 737-600s are 'to be scrapped' - I understand this isn't the most attractive model in the 737 line-up but at only 8.5 years old (the oldest of the six) is their time really up already??
Old 7th March 2012, 12:07 PM

The first 736 (not MALEV) was scrapped in mid-2010 at around 11yo. If not able to re-lease immediately, it's probably a better return to sell for parting out.
Old 7th March 2012, 02:31 PM

Yeah good point Kent. I guess I'm just surprised that, although they're the ugly duckling of 737s, noone can find any use for them, even as a short-term 'filler' while waiting for new aircraft.