Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2011, 08:45 AM

Default Qlink Q400's and tech problems?

Hey there,
Recently flew to Sydney on a Qlink Q400 (VH-QOM) and as we broke through the clous and began the long approach to 16L there was a strange noise coming from the right engine or flaps (or gear).. Kind of like grinding or something..

Clearly it wasn't serious enough for the pilots to mention it to us but me and my friend sitting next to me both noticed it. After we landed it continued until we taxied to a gate between T2 and T3 and as soon as the engines shut off a bunch of engineers put a ladder up to the right wing between the engine and fuselage and got to work.
Now last year I was waiting to get a flight to CFS on a Q400 and we were delayed for about 20 minutes while someone came and fixed something in the same sort of place.

I suppose my question is is anyone skilled enough to know what I'm talking about, and is it a common problem? (Whatever the heck it is)
Thanks.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:10 PM

Did it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRecczdnmwo

Sounds like the PTU (Power Transfer Unit) it's located around that area and makes a whirring sound when on. It's powered on whenever the landing gear is extended.

Some 400's are louder than others, the worst ones can be head from the flightdeck!
Old 6th September 2011, 12:13 PM

:O it did indeed... I have never noticed it on past flights and this was the first time I did notice...
Don't think that quite explains the maintenance engineers waiting for us though haha
Old 6th September 2011, 12:28 PM

Must have been something noticeable in flight though as they were waiting for us
Old 6th September 2011, 04:18 PM

It's the PTU. "They all do that".