Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th February 2010, 01:24 PM

Default Good on ya QANTAS..

From our local paper (Mount Gambier, SA), The Border Watch, today:

Quote:
Antarctic dream becomes reality
Thanks to a group of good mates, a long-time dream came true for Basil Mewett when he took a 12-hour flight over Antarctica on Valentine's Day with the memories of the love of his life in his mind.

Mr Mewett's mates gave him a voucher for the Qantas trip on his 80th birthday in July last year after he told them how he regretted not taking his wife Joyce to the Antarctic before her death about five years ago.

The gift was a sign of generosity to a man who had, as a member of the Mount Gambier West Rotary Club for more than 40 years, travelled to numerous countries where he helped build schools and hospitals.

It was intended for a trip on New Year's Eve, but when Mr Mewett decided to upgrade his ticket to first class, it was booked for Valentine's Day - the day he asked Joyce for her hand in marriage in 1951.

The couple travelled to all continents over many years, but their dream to travel over Antarctica was derailed when Joyce became ill and passed away.

To Mr Mewett's surprise the flight, which took off from Melbourne, was named "The Joyce Mewett Antarctica Flight" and he was treated like a king - thanks to friend Kerry Randell who told Qantas how much the trip meant to Mr Mewett.

"Staff on the plane lined up to welcome me on board and when I arrived at my seat there was a framed plaque in Joyce's honour," Mr Mewett said.

"I was very emotional and had to wipe tears running down my cheeks all the time.

"I thought of my lovely, caring wife and my good mates back in Mount Gambier who made this possible.

"It was all very well done - even the steak sandwich was perfect."

Mr Mewett said although some passengers nodded off during the flight, he kept wide awake to enjoy the breathtaking scenery from the windows next to his seat.

And when the Boeing 747 landed back in Melbourne on Sunday evening, an air hostess added the final touch to a perfect day.

"She wrapped the plaque in a blanket and pinned it with a safety pin; it was so special," he said.

"I am very lucky to have such good friends and to have had such a wonderful wife."
It's just nice to see the feelgood stories about airlines every once in a while...
Old 19th February 2010, 01:40 PM

That is a very nice story!!
Old 19th February 2010, 05:07 PM

It's been a while since I posted, however, in light of the ongoing "bad press" that many carriers experience, in particular, QF, I challenge one of our learned media outlets to post this with the same sensationalist headings that greet us as soon as something "negative" happens.

I have flown QF on 2 separate occasions this week - on both occasions, the service was exactly what I expect, unobtrusive, professional and very comforting. On QF438 yesterday, I would suggest that the 2 FA's on my side of the 763 were in the top 5 of all time for me - if I was from a competitor airline, they would have been on top of my "hit list".

This item reflects what I reckon would have happened if the crews I had this week were on the job for this Antarctica flight.

Good on all concerned and go for it news.com.au/smh.com.au.
Old 19th February 2010, 07:00 PM

That story is a gem.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:22 PM

Qantas will always be my first choice of carrier and this goes a long way to explaining why.

Great work Qantas