Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd February 2012, 04:36 PM
Banned

Default Qantas increases fares due to fuel & carbon tax

extra $120 to USA from February 15 & so on ...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226261011768

+ flow on effects
Old 2nd February 2012, 06:41 PM

Or maybe its trying to recover from the greedy blackmailing unions.....and thats all I'll say on the matter.
Old 2nd February 2012, 08:07 PM

passing the costs from the carbon tax here and the EU to passengers, just like any fuel surcharges
Old 3rd February 2012, 06:56 AM

SO, QF are raising the ticket price effective 15 February, citing Carbon Tax, YET, the Carbon Tax starts July 1 2012... Is it just me, or can anyone else see something wrong here??

Crikey
Quote:
Yesterday Gillard announced the details of the much-debated carbon price, aka the Clean Energy Future policy. And it’s not just about a carbon price (although that’s the big news and will start from July 1 next year): an independent finance board will invest $10 billion over five years into renewable and low emission energy.
HIA (pdf)
Quote:
When was it announced?
Prime Minister Gillard first announced the Government‟s intentions to implement a carbon tax in February this year. A detailed package outlining the carbon tax arrangements was subsequently released by the Prime Minister on 10 July 2011, confirming the carbon tax would be implemented from 1 July 2012.
The Age
Quote:
The hybrid carbon scheme announced by Ms Gillard and Greens leader Bob Brown would force industry to buy a permit for each tonne of carbon dioxide emitted from July 1 next year.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/ca...#ixzz1lGBomt31

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 3rd February 2012, 07:22 AM

I too am intrigued that QF Carbon Tax cost is already being passed on. Will be interesting if the authority reviewing pricing issues related to the CT will have an early look.

Also, I get frustrated in the separate pricing that airlines do, there shouldn't be a separate fee on these items. What next will QF have a tax on the fare for Payroll Tax and another entry for Corporate Tax etc..
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:23 AM

Default tax

If Qantas are raising fares now and citing the carbon tax as the reason (which comes in on July 1), isn't that profiteering?

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 4th February 2012, 07:01 AM

If you guys actually bothered to read the article rather than foaming at the mouth you would see that it is the fuel increase that is being passed on now. When it comes to carbon taxes (note the s denoting a plural) you would have read that the European ETS (read carbon tax) is being passed on now and the cost of the Australian carbon tax will be passed on when when it is introduced in July. So no profiteering or ripping people off.

But guess the newspaper got what it wanted, a headline to get people into a flury.
Old 4th February 2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McDonald View Post
Or maybe its trying to recover from the greedy blackmailing unions.....and thats all I'll say on the matter.
Of course these Greedy Unions are headed by Gillard masquerading as Prime Minister (no, I'm not joking or using sarcasm)
Old 4th February 2012, 08:11 AM

Default I actually agree with Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
If you guys actually bothered to read the article rather than foaming at the mouth you would see that it is the fuel increase that is being passed on now. When it comes to carbon taxes (note the s denoting a plural) you would have read that the European ETS (read carbon tax) is being passed on now and the cost of the Australian carbon tax will be passed on when when it is introduced in July. So no profiteering or ripping people off.

But guess the newspaper got what it wanted, a headline to get people into a flury.
Ash, I actually agree with you. Well said.

Todd
Old 4th February 2012, 08:20 AM

Default Blackmailing hey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McDonald View Post
Greg, I have been very silent on this matter for a long time.
I am sick of people having a go at unions when they are not involved.
I'd love to know where this backstabbing happens. To quote a once fish and chip shop owner "please explain?".

I know this is a public forum and people have a right to free speech. Go right ahead. But please be informed.

I can tell you now that one union offered the company between 15 and 20% and was knocked back.

Greedy? I don't think so.

So please when you want to go of half-cocked please think again.

Todd.