Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2012, 09:12 PM

check out this range today, on crappy coax, antenna mounted 3' off the roof.

LMR arriving tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300nm not mounted.jpg (10.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 26th July 2012, 10:14 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Hi Brad,

Looking forward to your progress when you get the new coax up.

Any chance you could increase the size of your attached images. My eyes are deteriorating

Also, would you mind checking your database and advise what a/c were giving you those distances to the west? I had a similar looking display on my plot this morning, only to find out they were spurious position reports produced by E8023E LAN Chile A-340-313X CC-CQE
Old 27th July 2012, 10:28 AM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

LAN are a regular offender for incorrect position reports, I have had some with West Longitudes.

I had one pickup yesterday in the far southwest of NSW, way past my normal reception, and will have a look at the logs tonight to see which aircraft it was.
Old 27th July 2012, 10:31 PM

hmm not sure, ill check the logs...just about to do a format c:\ so may be a day or 2 before im back on-line!

Good news is, I got my LMR cable today, terminated both ends, 12 mtrs for 95 bux...cant complain with that The cable is mega!!! hope i can fit it in the cavity I have drilled!

I dont know why my screen shots are so small, i might host them instead of attaching.

CHECK MY CABLE OUT!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0322.jpg (54.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 28th July 2012, 09:23 AM

Exclamation ADS-B could end up encrypted ...

This article highlights a flaw in ADS-B that might be closed sooner than you think:

http://phys.org/news/2012-07-hackers...ffic.html#nwlt
Old 28th July 2012, 11:01 PM

meh, they encrypt, someone de crypts it ....game on again i say

Here is a my antenna and latest plot map with a few hours of scanning and new LMR400 cable.

Old 29th July 2012, 01:26 PM

Brad, I think that you've forgotten to attach the plot map. :-)

I have received my SBS-3 on Thursday and I have also registered for PlanePlotter now. Before I only used the RadarBox software with my RadarBox. But with the SBS-3 PlanePlotter seems to offer a lot of nice features. At the moment I am trying to create a radar.txt file so that I can make use of the mode A/C receptions.
Does anyone of you already have a radar.txt file?

I am also trying to get the SDR scanning functionality of PlanePlotter working with my SBS-3.

Does anyone else here also have an SBS-3?

I am really impressed of how much more data you can receive and display compared to the RadarBox. One thing that I like is that the targeted altitude is shown and not only the current one. I need to continue playing with it now :-D
Old 29th July 2012, 01:34 PM

Lol yeah I wanted to build the map for a few hours before I post a screen cap.

I just formatted my PC so screen shot will have to wait

That SBS3 box sure sounds cool, I'll have a bit more of a look at that! I love features!
Old 29th July 2012, 03:59 PM

G'day Henning, I'm also a happy SBS3 owner here in lower Hills area of Sydney and feeding PP with MLATs using sharer code "mb".

Noel White
Old 29th July 2012, 06:15 PM

Hi Noel,

my sharer code is M6. But I am still waiting to be validated as a GS.
Do you use any other plugins or addons?
And do you have a radar.txt file? I didn't have any success so far in setting it up. The results that I get by recording and analyzing Mode A/C data don't seem to be correct. Or maybe we are unlucky and there are no uniquely identifiable radar station in our area... Sometimes the beams that are shown go perfectly through the selected aircraft but sometimes they go to completely wrong directions.

I was just happy a couple of minutes ago when I got the first NMEA message from a ship out of the SBS. It's encoded but I could enter it on a website that decodes those messages and it showed me that the ship is near the entrance to Botany Bay facing west and having a speed of 8 knots :-)

It's cool to be able to track both ship and planes :-) The next feature I will need is tracking trains and buses. And then all the cars and people :-D