Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th November 2008, 08:48 PM

Default Aeroplane graveyards

Has anybody on the board visited an aeroplane graveyard in the US? It appears there is one in the Mojave, one in Arizona, etc. and I am confused as to which one is the 'real deal'. Do any places offer tours?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 7th November 2008, 09:00 PM

The main facility is AMARG, which is part of Davis-Monthan Air Force base in Arizona. You can do tours, which are run by the Pima Air and Space Museum. I haven't been lucky enough to go there... yet!
Old 7th November 2008, 09:22 PM

Edward there are quite a few around the Phoenix-Tucson area ie Goodyear ,Marana pinal airpark.Chandler,Davis Monthan,Mesa Falcon field ,Tucson airport,Kingman, Mojave in Nevada plus lots more,have been
to most of them well worth a visit.
Old 8th November 2008, 06:18 AM

There are quite a few photos on various Aviaton flights. Victorville comes to mind a a big one.

Frankly, I find them sad and depressing.
Old 8th November 2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy R. View Post
The main facility is AMARG, which is part of Davis-Monthan Air Force base in Arizona. You can do tours, which are run by the Pima Air and Space Museum. I haven't been lucky enough to go there... yet!

More about this here http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCVGuide.asp
Old 10th November 2008, 12:32 PM

Edward,
Firstly it depends on whether or not your talking about commercial boneyards or military. Tucson area is your best bet for the military aircraft but the commercial ones are scattered around quite a bit. Kingman, Goodyear, Victorville are the big three although I shot a dead DC-10 at Macon (Middle Georgia Regional Airport) today and that just goes to show you can find stuff anywhere. Various small to medium size airports through the south have stored birds eg: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida (Opa Locka). A lot of these southern states also perform maintenance work or conversion work so there will almost certainly be metal around. I could probably tell you at least one airport per state that has retired or stored frames, but hop on the internet and check out some pics - it is more fun planning your trip that way
Cheers,
Scott.
Old 13th November 2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the website Torin. Whis I knew about that one when I visited Tuscon in 2007!.

Pima Air & Space Museum & the Davis Monthan AFB are a must.
Great thing is that you can do both in the same day! as the tour bus for Davis Monthan is run by the people at PIMA.
Old 14th November 2008, 05:29 AM

Just fyi I met Timmsy down in Tucson a couple of weeks ago where they are working on a bunch of spares/bits and pieces picked up at the Boneyard for various aircraft owned by the historical aircraft group. He is currently still there but I had to leave for vacation time in Oz.

MS
Old 15th November 2008, 02:15 PM

Guys a web site called CACTUS WINGS use to be a good place to look for info,but you have to be a member now.