Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th October 2012, 12:20 PM

Default Third airport for Melbourne!

On last nights news was a segment on the need for a third Melbourne airport to cater for the large populations in the south eastern suburbs who have long travel times to Tullamarine.
One site being considered is Tooradin.
As a side comment it was mentioned that Avalon only has 5 departures a day? So really no need at this stage but I imagine Avalon would not be a first option for these travellers.

http://www.paggsy.smugmug.com
Old 28th October 2012, 12:06 AM

Tooradin will become a white elephant like AVV... Major airlines have large investments into YMML, what would change that, how about instead of spending money on a nothing project, inject the money in YMML to build the third runway it deserves and redevelop the airport facilities for future growth..then again what would I know, I only chuck bags for a living
Old 28th October 2012, 08:56 AM

When I first started to fly out of Casey Airfield before it was shut, there was talk of moving to a new airport near the end of the South Eastern Freeway at what is now known as Lyndhurst. The complete lack of infrastructure, the transit times to the city, plus the car park that is the aforementioned freeway will kill that off, even before we start talking money. Tooradin is 15kms further away than Avalon, the neaarest freeway to the CBD is about 20kms away, nearest trains the same.

Aint gonna happen.
Old 28th October 2012, 09:11 AM

No city in Australia needs a 2nd or 3rd airport not even Sydney