Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2010, 03:07 PM

Well the ball is already running on this issue in Australia because at Jetstar we have been operating the A321 with 5 cabin crew for quite some time now. For a 214-seat aircraft that's a ratio of 1 to 42.8. A full mock evacuation / demonstration with flight and cabin crews as well as volunteer passengers was required by CASA in order to pass the dispensation for JQ.

We're very used to the 5 crew operations and it runs smoothly now, after some initial hiccups, but whether passengers would be as safe in an emergency evacuation with only 1 crew member at the L1/R1 doors as opposed to 2 crew, is debatable. Able-bodied passengers in the first row are given a thorough briefing on how best to assist the forward crew member (the CM) if an evacuation is required and I'm sure people will still get out one way or another, but it's the speed at which that happens that could be the problem.

However, it's well-known that the US Airways A320 that ditched in the Hudson was manned by only 1 flight attendant at the two rear doors and that these reduced-crew operations are already the norm in other parts of the world. And I've heard that Virgin Blue may be the next carrier here to make a move on crew numbers; trying to reduce the 737-700 from 4 to 3 crew.
Old 16th February 2010, 03:36 PM

Just regarding the briefing, I say in 1A on a JQ A320 BNK-SYD, and neither of the Flight Attendants said anything at all to me personally about assisting them in the emergency?
Old 16th February 2010, 05:33 PM

Presumably because you were on an A320 which had 2 crew at the front doors - I think Brendan was referring to the A321.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:59 AM

Oh for the days when there were 4 on a DC-9 and 6 on a 72S. Then again there was decent cabin service back then.

Not all progress is good imho!
Old 17th February 2010, 07:58 AM

6 on a 727?? In the US in the 1960's, TWA and American Airlines were operating the 707 on Domestic routes with 4 cabin crew.
Old 17th February 2010, 07:33 PM

When something does happen and there is not enough F/A's on board it will be an interesting time for the lawyers.
Old 17th February 2010, 08:09 PM
Prolific Member

It's called risk management Ray. As long as nothing happens, all is rosy, but if something does happen then they'll review and implement the changes accordingly.

Until they can enjoy the extra profits, which they probably hope will pay for the lawyers they need to defend their reputations...
Old 17th February 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
When something does happen and there is not enough F/A's on board it will be an interesting time for the lawyers.
well essentially CASA is the regulator and as per the news report the proposed ratio falls into line of manufacturer's recommendations...
Old 18th February 2010, 12:48 PM

@ James K - I am sure that 4 cabin attendants on a DC9 and 6 on a 727 were great .... but do you really want to go back to paying the sort of fares that were around in those days ?
Old 18th February 2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
well essentially CASA is the regulator and as per the news report the proposed ratio falls into line of manufacturer's recommendations...
And of course the manufacturer wants it certified with the minimum number of crew to make it more attractive, particularly to low cost carriers.

The current trend seems to be for our regulator to adopt what the rest of the world does, rather than do its own assessments... I think we're losing our status of being a world leader.