Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd September 2008, 09:13 AM

Default United re-introduces MEL-LAX nonstops seasonally

For the period 17DEC to 01FEB UA will operate daily non-stops MEL-LAX-MEL. The SYD-MEL-SYD tag on will stop during this period. Flights UA826/UA827.

full details at united.com
Old 6th September 2008, 10:43 AM

WOW - Never would have thought they would bother with this again after the flip-flopping over the previous decades! These birds would have to flying weight restricted from memory with the chance of a nice stopover in Fiji or HNL on the way back depending on the winds.

$3193 seems to be the going fares in Jan on UA
Keep in mind though
http://www.unitedairlines.com.au/cor...ls/drinks.html

$3294 is the going fare on QF

I know for an extra $100 I'd take the much nicer QF744 or A380, heck I could easily get my $ worth on the free grog onboard, let alone the IFE, seat, meals and service benefits on QF
Old 6th September 2008, 11:13 AM

I wonder if they are going to get around some of those weight restrictions like how they used to when they flew that route.

I believe they used to file a flight plan to Sydney... and then "divert" to Melbourne even though it was a scheduled flight to Melbourne.
Old 6th September 2008, 12:23 PM

Hi there

Looks like the UA website contradicts itself

"Alcoholic beverages are complimentary on trans and intra pacific flights and available for sale on other international flights."

Anthony T
Old 9th September 2008, 12:56 AM

Contradictions at UA are an unfortunate almost daily occurence these days.

MS
Old 9th September 2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post

"Alcoholic beverages are complimentary on trans and intra pacific flights and available for sale on other international flights."

Anthony T
I read this as you pay for booze in on European, South American etc flights, but not across the Pacific, or within the Pacific, eg HKG-SIN

Banjo
Old 9th September 2008, 09:45 AM

You definately have to pay for booze on Pacific flights, a good way to save a few kgs of weight I reckon

The below came from a media release somewhere on www.ual.com

"Effective July 1, we will implement a charge of $6 for alcoholic beverages in United Economy. We will also begin charging for alcoholic beverages in the economy cabin on all Pacific and intra-Asia flights beginning August 1.

Also beginning August 1, we will conduct tests offering a la carte snack items available for purchase in the economy cabin for $3. These items, including cookies, candy, chips and trail mix, are in 4- to 5-ounce portions and are in line with our strategy of offering customers more items that they value and can choose from accordingly. The U.S. domestic testing, to run through the summer, will include Denver-Seattle flights and Denver-San Francisco, as well as Chicago-Denver and Chicago-Boston trips. International flights participating in the test will include Los Angeles-London and Los Angeles-Frankfurt flights, as well as San Francisco-London and San Francisco-Frankfurt flights."