Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th September 2008, 07:46 PM

Default Am I just unlucky?

This afternoon's 4pm flight out of Melbourne saw VH-OGP go wheels up at about 4.58 pm. Pax were delayed in boarding by 55 minutes "so we can cool the aircraft cabin down".

It transpires that QF446 was originally due to be operated by an aircraft delayed in reaching Mebourne. So OGP, which had been under maintenance, was rushed into service before its air conditioning had been brought online. However, it had been sitting in the warm Melbourne sunshine for too long and the captain decided that pax could not tolerate the extreme heat in the cabin pending takeoff, so he ordered a compressor brought in to cool the cabin before boarding could commence.

Touchdown in SYD on RWY 16R was at about 6.07 pm - about 50 minutes late.

But to keep objective and balanced, VH-VYH operated the 6.30 am flight from SYD-MEL this morning and we arrived EARLY a few minutes before 8 am.
Old 10th September 2008, 09:14 PM
Prolific Member

"Am I just unlucky?"

I think you should be grateful and be praising the Captain for making a decision that was for the benefit and comfot for all the passengers and crew, rather than giving the media yet another petty excuse for a shot at Qantas.

Secondly, I think you should count yourself fortunate that you get the opportunity to fly on a regular basis, let alone fly at all. I am sure there are thousands out there who wish they could get the chance to fly just once, delays or no delays.

I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh, but I think it's time everyone put the Qantas bashing to bed.
If all anyone has to worry about is the delays incurred by Qantas (or any other airline for that matter), then their life must be pretty rosey and they mustn't have anything else going in life.

End rant.
Old 10th September 2008, 09:25 PM

I don't think my post reads as, or would incite, Qantas bashing.
Old 10th September 2008, 09:59 PM

Smile Bashing or not...

In just over a week The Spirit of Australia will be in the media for a very exciting and historical event. Around month later the paying public will witness another investment Qantas has made in the future of its brand - indeed customers will benefit. I am waiting in anticipation! It is time to turn the spotlight onto something positive

All that aside it will be a great time to see the Qantas A380 in a port near you before it starts its commercial flying (initially MEL SYD LAX). IMHO it looks great... get your cameras ready!

Last edited by Eli B; 10th September 2008 at 11:46 PM.