Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th September 2008, 06:58 AM

Default Checking baggage to destination

Tomorrow I fly a few sectors and am wondering what chances I'll have to get my luggage tagged through to my ultimate destination.

Sectors are:

BNE-SYD DJ
SYD-LAX UA
LAX-DFW UA
DFW-VPS AA

I doubt that DJ will bother doing anything, but does anyone know if SYD check-in will check it right through (yes I know I'll need to collect at LAX for customs etc)
Old 12th September 2008, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Tomorrow I fly a few sectors and am wondering what chances I'll have to get my luggage tagged through to my ultimate destination.

Sectors are:

BNE-SYD DJ
SYD-LAX UA
LAX-DFW UA
DFW-VPS AA

I doubt that DJ will bother doing anything, but does anyone know if SYD check-in will check it right through (yes I know I'll need to collect at LAX for customs etc)
When you check-in in BNE you should be able get it connected to LAX, DJ have an interline agreement with UA.
Old 12th September 2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
When you check-in in BNE you should be able get it connected to LAX, DJ have an interline agreement with UA.
Thanks Marty

I'll try to get them to go all the way, then I can just put it into the transfer line at LAX after customs - changeover at DFW is tight and with a hurricane heading that way who knows where I or bags will end up going
Old 12th September 2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
That's incorrect. The interline agreement is limited to ticketing and not baggage. With Qantas you can actually get it checked through on UA flights, but not with DJ.

You will have to collect your bags at Sydney after your DJ flight and then make your way to the UA counter.

When you check-in, make sure you tell them that your final destination is VPS, tell them your last flight is with AA. Chances are that you booked your final leg with AA separate from the UA flights (I am assuming)? If that is the case, when you check-in, this sector might not appear in UA's check in system - show them your itinary on that flight and they can add it into the bag tag for you. So when you get to DFW, you will still have to collect your AA boarding pass (check-in counter / or perhaps there may be a domestic transfer counter), but at least you won't have to drag your bags along with you in the queue.

Hope this helps!

Once the check-in agent does that for you, ensure they tag your bags ALL the way through and check the bag tag that it includes your last sector's flight numbers (AA) with DFW-VPS written on it. (Btw I am assuming you're not overnighting more than 12 hours at DFW - if that is the case you will have to collect your bags at DFW).

I have checked in a pax in coming from a DJ flight. Unfortunately he thought his bags were going all the way through. Fortunately he was early and he was able to dash back to the domestic to get the bags back in time for UA check-in.
Old 12th September 2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chan View Post
When you check-in, make sure you tell them that your final destination is VPS, tell them your last flight is with AA. Chances are that you booked your final leg with AA separate from the UA flights (I am assuming)? If that is the case, when you check-in, this sector might not appear in UA's check in system - show them your itinary on that flight and they can add it into the bag tag for you. So when you get to DFW, you will still have to collect your AA boarding pass (check-in counter / or perhaps there may be a domestic transfer counter), but at least you won't have to drag your bags along with you in the queue.

Hope this helps!

Once the check-in agent does that for you, ensure they tag your bags ALL the way through and check the bag tag that it includes your last sector's flight numbers (AA) with DFW-VPS written on it. (Btw I am assuming you're not overnighting more than 12 hours at DFW - if that is the case you will have to collect your bags at DFW).

I have checked in a pax in coming from a DJ flight. Unfortunately he thought his bags were going all the way through. Fortunately he was early and he was able to dash back to the domestic to get the bags back in time for UA check-in.
Thanks for this

Final sector was done via QF points, other sectors were done on UA points.

Got only 2 hours at DFW hence my reluctance to have to hassle with bags.

Ah well, tomorrow I'll see how it all goes, I'm actually happier not to have to get DJ to check through.

CYA in a couple of weeks!