Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th August 2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam J View Post
Check this comment out. I couldn't resist reprinting it here, I know it is a bit O/T but it gave me a laugh.

Flying in general, and not just Qantas, lost its ambience it once had when they removed first class off domestic sectors, allowed passengers attired in clothing more appropriate for the airport public bar to become lounge members, and airlines refused to put sound proof security barriers between the last row of Business and the first row of Economy class.
Posted by: Kevin of Double Bay 2:06pm today
Comment 25 of 39

Gotta love Kev of Double Bay
I read that earlier I can recall the same person's rant when they reported JQ's 1 cent sales earlier which went along the lines of "I'm concerned about the type of passengers these sales attract to air travel. The other day I was appalled that the man sitting next to me in Business class was not wearing a suit and had jeans. etc. etc." Haha It just has to be someone with a good humour stirring the pot.
Old 5th August 2008, 02:40 AM

Nightline on Ch 9 tonight claimed that 3 planes were delayed for technical reasons blah blah blah, luckily David Cox came on and told them that they would keep planes back as long as nessecary and needed to make the planes 100% serviceable, good on QF for coming out with that, although i think they could go as far as saying media beat up!
Old 5th August 2008, 10:18 AM

if safety is blah blah blah to you Rhys then I suggest you start Atlant Soyuz...

I don't know any other industry where 400 lives at any one time are cared for by a select few in a tube at 35,000 feet, it absolutely is of public interest when things go wrong in this business...I'd be more worried if the media wasn't reporting it.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 5th August 2008, 11:12 AM

Fair enough Montague, but reporting every incident where a plane is delayed just to replace a part is stupid, Qantas are just the beat up boy of the media right now.

They can report mid-air things, or perhaps a return to port or diversion if they really want,, but i think that reporting every incident where a plane is delayed due to technical reasons is stupid.

And i'll thank you not to suggest that i think that safety is blah blah blah - its very important to me (i thought you would've guessed that after what i've said about Garuda...)
Old 5th August 2008, 11:41 AM

most of what you say Rhys seems to follow someone elses lead or contradicts what you previously said...case in point, your blase attitude towards the media coverage of Qantas directly contradicts your stance regarding the media coverage of the Garuda incident.

your all for hanging a guy out to dry from the media reports re the GA accident, yet you can't wait to cast aside the media reports regarding Qantas...make up your mind because the contradictions are becoming more obvious.

Next Flights:
Old 5th August 2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
most of what you say Rhys seems to follow someone elses lead or contradicts what you previously said...case in point, your blase attitude towards the media coverage of Qantas directly contradicts your stance regarding the media coverage of the Garuda incident.

your all for hanging a guy out to dry from the media reports re the GA accident, yet you can't wait to cast aside the media reports regarding Qantas...make up your mind because the contradictions are becoming more obvious.
But the Garuda was a big incident, people died, of course i would want and expect media coverage for it, and the same goes for the QF19 incident.

What i dislike greatly is the reporting of stupid things like delayed flights while they fix a part. Its a stupid thing to go and start reporting in the media every day.

So there is my stance, and i dont think its contradictory. A big incident (eg QF19, Garuda accident) needs media coverage, but stupid 3 hr delays due to maintenance should not be reported in such a big way, and im sure others on this forum would agree with me
Old 5th August 2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
But the Garuda was a big incident, people died, of course i would want and expect media coverage for it, and the same goes for the QF19 incident.

What i dislike greatly is the reporting of stupid things like delayed flights while they fix a part. Its a stupid thing to go and start reporting in the media every day.

So there is my stance, and i dont think its contradictory. A big incident (eg QF19, Garuda accident) needs media coverage, but stupid 3 hr delays due to maintenance should not be reported in such a big way, and im sure others on this forum would agree with me
you've obviously missed the point altogether so I won't continue any further.

Next Flights:
Old 7th August 2008, 10:20 AM

In last night's Letterman show the Top Ten thingy was 'Top Ten Signs Your Airline is Cutting Costs'. Some are quite funny so I thought I'd post them here.

http://lateshow.cbs.com/latenight/la...20080805.phtml

Top Ten

10/ During flight they hit you with additional $200 "landing charge"

9/ It's day 4 of your honeymoon and you're still on the tarmac

8/ Plane has a "Hyundai" hood ornament

7/ When you arrive, Hawaii looks suspiciously like Detroit

6/ Inflatable vest replaced with smaller inflatable bow ties

5/ Plane can't take off until you lose 20 pounds

4/ In-flight entertainment: watching two fat guys fight for an armrest

3/ Flight attendants wearing clothes you packed

2/ The pilot -- Andy Dick. Seriously, Andy, we love you and want you to get help!

1/ During the captain's preflight checklist, you hear him say, "close enough"
Old 7th August 2008, 02:35 PM

And again....

A Qantas domestic flight carrying 111 passengers pulled out of a take-off at Melbourne Airport after noises were heard coming from the undercarriage.

The Canberra-bound 737 jet returned to the terminal after the aborted take-off and passengers were loaded onto another plane and finally left Melbourne just after 1pm (AEST).

A Qantas spokeswoman said QF850 had problems with its air-conditioning duct unit.

"It was a routine return to the terminal due to an air-conditioning fault," she said.

"Rather than delay passengers further a replacement aircraft was arranged and the flight took off just before 1pm."

The incident was another in a recent run of scares for Australia's national airline.
Old 7th August 2008, 03:03 PM

Lets just wait for all the comments to start flooding in now.

An aborted take off....front page news everyone!

I think everyone is need of a but of a laugh after this crap...i think some news.com.au journo's are using this to write their stories! http://www.aussiebloggers.com.au/pla...lanestory.html