Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd September 2008, 11:07 PM

hey guys.
i just came back from Swinburne uni open day, and they had a QF second officer speaking, and he was mention that the A380s are come this month (which is no surprise) he also said a the 787. then he said the 777 ARE ALSO COMING! but he did not say anything about what type.
for a QF pilot to say that i must say that maybe these words going around are going to be firm orders.

i got a bit excited when he mentioned it so i thought ill let you in from when i heard about their fleet

joey.
Old 3rd September 2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
for a QF pilot to say that i must say that maybe these words going around are going to be firm orders.
Wish it was that simple
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran wells View Post
No, he mentioned the 787 separately, especially as they wont be here for at least 2-3 years, and that a number of them will be going to Jetstar first, before coming in qantas colours. The mention of 777 was what stood out to me, as i wasn't aware of them looking/ordering them.
My flatemate is a Jetstar Flight attendant. She also mentioned within the Jetstar meetings they discussed using the 777 until the 787 came on line as Jetstar were looking at expanding to Italy and the UK.

As with composite. I understand it is much stronger than metal, however i have no idea how it perform in a fire or crash. Maybe they could simulate a crash as they did with the remote controlled 707 a few years back. $$$$.
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Saragozza. View Post
hey guys.
i just came back from Swinburne uni open day, and they had a QF second officer speaking, and he was mention that the A380s are come this month (which is no surprise) he also said a the 787. then he said the 777 ARE ALSO COMING! but he did not say anything about what type.

i got a bit excited when he mentioned it so i thought ill let you in from when i heard about their fleet

joey.

My Uncle's friends daughter is a cleaner for Qantas and she mentioned that she heard from one of her friends brothers that Qantas were getting a spaceship

Don't take everything you hear as fact, just because they are with the company...

Last edited by Daniel M; 3rd September 2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
My Uncle's friends daughter is a cleaner for Qantas and she mentioned that she heard from one of her friends brothers that Qantas were getting a spaceship

Don't take everything you hear as fact, just because they are with the company...
....And in return, don't treat him as if he's a stupid teenager. He was merely relaying what he heard from a Qantas employee. If the information he has given is true, then great... but if it doesn't eventuate, then you should at least be thankful that he's shared with us what he's heard.

Some people at times....
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C. View Post
I'd feel safer in a plane with a metal fuselage, not a plastic one (like the 787). Even though plastic could be quieter, metal is almost always the way to go. So the 777-300ER would be a great addition. And even the slightly smaller A340-600 could be an option too. The A340 is very quiet to fly on. I also went on a Qantas A330-300 VH-QPA and found it pretty quiet too, I slept well because of that.
Just watched a show called ENGINEERING CONNECTIONS on the NAT GEO channel. It was discussing the A380 and its safety and economical value in the industry.

The main concern was the weight and size of the aircraft to compete in the market.

To combat this they used a compisite material 'Glare'. It is a combination of glass and aluminium, much much stronger than the material used on most aircraft and lighter also. They use aluminium because it is rigidness, and glass for strength.

They used chickens shot out of a cannon to simulate and aircraft htting a bird at high speed. The chicken went straight through the standard aircraft skin. The composite material held up with only minor damage. They also mentioned using this material to store luggage as to absord any bombs that may be used as a form of terrorism.
Old 3rd September 2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
They used chickens shot out of a cannon to simulate and aircraft hitting a bird at high speed. The chicken went straight through the standard aircraft skin. The composite material held up with only minor damage. They also mentioned using this material to store luggage as to absorb any bombs that may be used as a form of terrorism.
Oh my god... I know this might be the 'norm', but slightly not PC... What if PETA got a hold of this?? They might leave KFC alone!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 3rd September 2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
....And in return, don't treat him as if he's a stupid teenager. He was merely relaying what he heard from a Qantas employee. If the information he has given is true, then great... but if it doesn't eventuate, then you should at least be thankful that he's shared with us what he's heard.

Some people at times....
thanks for your support Shameel.
fingers crossed that these 'rumors' become true.
Old 3rd September 2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
you'd be stunned to know that the composite fibre shell of the 787 is actually stronger than any "metal" shell...
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-DE8LZcZgn4
I think it's a giant leap to assume that composites are stronger than metal shells. Composites lack ductility, so they don't deform the same way metal does. I would like to see the piece of composite in the video that they are bashing with the hammer actually placed on an aircraft. What you don't see is the micro cracks, inter-ply delaminations and disbonds that occur with each belt of the hammer. These micro cracks leads to moisture ingression which at altitude freezes (and expands) causing growth of the ply damage. It may take a number of years and many thousands of cycles but in the end, the result may or may not be a catastrophic failure of that same panel (you'll never know). Non-visible impact damage is one of the biggest problems in the composite industry.
Old 3rd September 2008, 09:53 PM

There are technologies that I believe are incorporated on the 787 that allow damage to the internal structure of the composite to be seen. According to a lecturer from UNSW who visited us at Sydney Uni last week, some clever engineers have infused the skin with capillary tubes of minute diameter which contain a coloured fluid. They are calibrated so that an impact to the skin beyond a certain magnitude will rupture them and cause the fluid to 'bleed' through, allowing engineers to see where the structure is damaged.