Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th September 2008, 09:42 AM

Default Jetstar to name plane Princess Mary

Quote:
Airline to name plane Princess Mary
September 07, 2008 09:31am

A RECENT visit by Crown Princess Mary of Denmark to her home country of Australia created such a flurry of excitement, even a local airline was starstruck.

Budget air carrier Jetstar, a subsidiary of Qantas, has decided to name an aircraft Princess Mary after the Danish royal chose to fly with the airline on her recent holiday.

Jetstar is seeking approval from the Royal Danish Embassy to name an A320 aircraft in honour of Princess Mary, the airline said today.

“Like many Australian mothers, Princess Mary chose to fly with her children on Jetstar,” Jetstar Group general manager commercial operations Bruce Buchanan said.

He said the 'Princess Mary' aircraft would be in honour of Mary's choice to fly Jetstar.

Princess Mary and her children, Prince Christian, two, and Princess Isabella, 17 months, spent 10 days visiting family in Hobart last month.

They were later joined by Crown Prince Frederik and visited Melbourne and Sydney, attending official engagements and charitable events.

Their final engagement was in Sydney on Thursday at the opening of the Lowy Packer building, the new home of the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.

They were expected to leave Sydney several days later.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-29277,00.html
Old 7th September 2008, 11:43 PM

Default Don't jump to conclusions

The schedule of flights from Hobart to the mainland doesn't offer people a lot of choice - if you want to fly in the middle of the day from Hobart to Melbourne, for example, it's JQ or nothing, so I wouldn't infer a Royal preference from the mere fact of JQ travel!

If I had to guess I'd attribute the selection of JQ to a timetable -determined selection rather than a direct airline selection.
Old 8th September 2008, 12:41 AM

i thought all passengers are VIPs for Jetstar..do they all get a plane named after them ?
Old 8th September 2008, 05:33 PM

Wonder if it will have a large picture of Princess Mary on it aswell, make it the Princess Mary Logojet.....

I have always thought JetStar should name their aircraft after stars, constellations, planets, Solar Systems etc.
Old 8th September 2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
The schedule of flights from Hobart to the mainland doesn't offer people a lot of choice - if you want to fly in the middle of the day from Hobart to Melbourne, for example, it's JQ or nothing, so I wouldn't infer a Royal preference from the mere fact of JQ travel!

If I had to guess I'd attribute the selection of JQ to a timetable -determined selection rather than a direct airline selection.
Not really true - she could also travel on Virgin Blue. They have flights throughout the day on MEL-HBA just like Jetstar. So there is a choice. But it's not such a surprise that important people or celebrities fly Jetstar on occasion - whether it be because Qantas doesn't operate the route or for schedule or timing reasons JQ is more convenient.

I saw Princess Mary's Jetflex boarding pass pinned up on the noticeboard in our crew room at MEL with her long 'Royal Highness/Majesty'-whatever title at the front.
Old 8th September 2008, 06:36 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Milton View Post
Wonder if it will have a large picture of Princess Mary on it aswell, make it the Princess Mary Logojet.
I wonder if the VH-MRY rego could be transferred from Central Highlands Air Transport in Emerald ...

Are regos transferable like vanity plates for cars?

Also, since the princes and princesses were also on board, I think the a/c should be rebadged as an 'Heirbus'!

Last edited by Philip Argy; 8th September 2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Couldn't resist the Heirbus supplement!
Old 8th September 2008, 06:54 PM

Yeah Philip, regos are indeed transferable... Dick Smith has a jet registered VH-MIF (beause apparently he couldn't say "Smith" as a young'un), which used to be on a Citabria.

Said Citabria is still known as Miffy.

And a Cherokee that I did my PPL navs in changed rego when I was half-way through. That caused a few entertaining moments.
Old 8th September 2008, 06:58 PM

Thumbs up That settles it then ...

We'll have an Heirbus with rego VH-MRY!

Old 8th September 2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
“Like many Australian mothers, Princess Mary chose to fly with her children on Jetstar,” Jetstar Group general manager commercial operations Bruce Buchanan said.

What the hell is this bloke talking about??
Old 8th September 2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
We'll have an Heirbus with rego VH-MRY!

Oh Phil... Those one-liners are hilarious!! Love them all!

But, as they (from memory) reside in Denmark's Capital, CPH, could it be VH-CPH? Likewise, if this is already on the register, transfer maybe???

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images