Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th September 2008, 10:07 PM

Default Pram Checkin

Hi all,

I am travelling on QF tomorrow MEL to ADL, and have a 6mth baby in a pram. Someone mentioned that you used to be able to keep the baby in the pram at the gate, and, provided it is tagged with a baggage tag, it was taken at the gate to the hold, instead of checked in at the special baggage area.

Is this still the case, or does the pram need to go into special baggage prior to security?

Thanks in advance
Old 12th September 2008, 06:15 AM
Banned

That is the case and it will have a security screened tag placed on it after it has been screened to enter the sterlie area.

Because it has been security screened they will also bring it upto the gate upon arrival into ADL.
Old 12th September 2008, 07:47 AM

The only time i have had to hand the pram over prior to security is when i flew on tiger, QF JQ and DJ all let me keep my pram with me to the gate, however i had to collect mine from oversize baggage everytime, i've never had it bought back up to me - although it would have been handy!
Old 12th September 2008, 06:07 PM

ask the check-in agent as he/she would inform you of the procedure.
I think domestically they will 'gate-check' it for you and make you sign a limited release tag. But when you collect it at the destination it will appear back on the oversize baggage reclaim
Old 12th September 2008, 09:47 PM

Adrian,

Having travelled a fair bit with a baby, it depends on what size your pram is.

Small stroller = no worries with QF.

Larger pram (we had a jeep), depended on which carrier we flew with. QF and BI were no, must be checked in at oversize baggage; AA, CX and AY were happy to take it at the gate.

Cheers
Old 14th September 2008, 07:48 PM

As expected, QF were wonderful. they collected the pram from the gate, and it was handed to us at the baggage collection.

As for the JQ checkin staff, thats another story.

Thankyou Qantas
Old 15th September 2008, 12:29 PM

I know in ADL they have airport prams.
Simply check in your own pram and borrow one of the airport prams to get you to the gate.
The airport provided prams can be a little small, but do you really need to carry 30 kgs of baby stuff to the gate!

Cheers

David
Old 15th September 2008, 12:37 PM

Just returned from my holiday to the Gold Coast and the pram check-in was OK for the most part. At Sydney we checked in with JQ and they made us give up the pram straight away and it went off through the oversize baggage section, luckily we were running late and just had time to run to the gate and board so no real drama there.

On return from Brisbane QF also collected the pram downstairs and it went through oversize baggage however they provide courtesy strollers via the CityFlyer desk upstairs and all we had to do was leave it at the gate when boarding which was perfect.

Our pram is one of those large 3-wheeler types so thats probably why they made us check it in through oversize baggage directly after checking in at the desk.
Old 15th September 2008, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I know in ADL they have airport prams.
Simply check in your own pram and borrow one of the airport prams to get you to the gate.
The airport provided prams can be a little small, but do you really need to carry 30 kgs of baby stuff to the gate!

Cheers

David

David can you pass on my thanks for the REX staff in ADL for all the assistance they gave my wife and young son on Friday she was very happy and the service was outstanding

She has another long layover in ADL again on Wednesday so Im sure they will be as good once again
Old 15th September 2008, 01:31 PM

Marty,

You could always write a letter or email to http://www.rex.com.au/FeedBack/Default.aspx as I'm sure your feedback would be greatly appreciated. I will certainly pass it on to the ADL staff.

David.M.