Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th September 2008, 12:24 AM

I think re engine the bou and put some nice avionics into it and she will have a new lease of life. However from previous experience on various "old" aircraft with new avionics it doesn't work terribly to well (ie 717 - DC-9, Seasprite etc etc)
Old 19th February 2009, 02:52 PM

19 Feb 2009
MIN16/09

RETIREMENT OF THE DHC-4 CARIBOU
The Minister for Defence, the Hon. Joel Fitzgibbon MP, today announced the Government has accepted the reality that it will be necessary to bring forward the retirement of Australia’s remaining thirteen DHC-4 Caribou aircraft to December 2009.

“The Government has been left with little choice but to retire the Caribou and has reluctantly agreed to do so despite the fact that poor planning by the former Government has denied us the opportunity to produce a replacement aircraft before 2013,” Mr Fitzgibbon said.

“After 45 years of tireless and distinguished service with the Royal Australian Air Force, the Caribou fleet is suffering badly from a range of ageing aircraft issues, and contains asbestos parts which I am determined to weed out of the Defence Force.”

The rest can be read at :
http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/F...CurrentId=8789

It goes on to talk about replacement options and the transfer of the King Airs to 38 Squadron.
Old 19th February 2009, 06:27 PM

God bless the reliable gravel truck. airshows will never be the same again.avalon will be a good place to say farewell.
Old 19th February 2009, 06:58 PM

And we still don't know what's going to fill the void. There's been a serious amount of procrastination from successive governments and various committees, etc. Is it going to be a similar Aircraft, CASA C-295 or the larger and Herc friendly Lockheed Martin Alenia C-27J, or a Chopper... or something else?
Old 19th February 2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Rowe View Post
God bless the reliable gravel truck. airshows will never be the same again.avalon will be a good place to say farewell.
I hear four Caribous are being generated for Avalon, so hopefully at least two of them will get there!
Old 19th February 2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
And we still don't know what's going to fill the void. There's been a serious amount of procrastination from successive governments and various committees, etc. Is it going to be a similar Aircraft, CASA C-295 or the larger and Herc friendly Lockheed Martin Alenia C-27J, or a Chopper... or something else?
Hopefully all will be revealed in the White Paper in April/May, and some concrete projects can get some funding in the follow-on DCP in July!
Old 19th February 2009, 07:53 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Hopefully all will be revealed in the White Paper in April/May, and some concrete projects can get some funding in the follow-on DCP in July!
How's our government going to afford any type of replacement when they're already throwing a good proportion of $42 billion into a black hole?
Old 19th February 2009, 07:58 PM

Ya gotta love the Bou!!

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 19th February 2009, 08:15 PM

Seems so very long ago but my dad was there at the beginning.....

RTFV Vung Tau 1964.
Dad is far right, back row.
Some more.... http://www.pbase.com/chrisg/rtfv

Cheers
Old 20th February 2009, 06:25 PM

Nice photo Chris. The plane shines with its new skin!
A colleague of mine Bev Barry was a navigator on the delivery then went off to Orions, I have asked him if he is in photo.

I also notice this on Wiki about the DHC-5 Buffalo:
Quote:
New production
In December 2008 Viking Air, who hold the type certificate for the Buffalo, indicated that they intend to put the aircraft back into production at their factory in Victoria, British Columbia or Calgary, Alberta. The new production Buffalo will feature Pratt & Whitney Canada PW150 engines, a glass cockpit, enhanced vision and night vision goggle capability. The company intends to propose the aircraft as a replacement for the Canadian Forces fleet of existing DHC-5As
Does anyone know if this is a goer? Maybe the most suitable replacement for us too?