Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd August 2008, 03:24 PM

First aircraft is under construction, photos were released in the last update to DJ staff last week.
Old 3rd August 2008, 07:41 PM

Thumbs down

IF that video is to be believed, they are going to be using the Skybed MK II design

I recall someone saying that the Virgin/AC/NZ suites couldn't be used by V Australia!
Old 4th August 2008, 07:23 AM

I understand that skybed MKII is going to be 180 flat and the V Aust seats don't look 180 flat but 170 flat which would make them the same as the current skybed?
Old 4th August 2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin R View Post
I understand that skybed MKII is going to be 180 flat and the V Aust seats don't look 180 flat but 170 flat which would make them the same as the current skybed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAustralia
Features:

* Freedom and privacy are yours with abundant personal space delivered by V Australia’s fully horizontal flat bed seat.
* Extraordinary legroom of 1.95 metres (77 inches).
* Panasonic Audio and Video on demand in-flight entertainment system which boasts a 30.7 cm (12.1-inches) screen in your seatback, together with the superior sound quality and relaxation delivered by noise cancelling headsets.
* Sleep soundly in your seat which converts to a 1.88 metre (six-foot-two) long fully horizontal flat bed.
* Keep in touch and up to date during your flight with revolutionary email, PDA and mobile phone text message AeroMobile connectivity technologies.
* Mood lighting throughout your cabin to create an ambience to match the different phases of your flight.
* Laptop power and USB port connections for your convenience.
They're the features in business straight from the VAus website.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin R View Post
Yes I noticed that, hoping that V dont' go with the Skybed though, if they do my business will stay with AC/NZ
Old 4th August 2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Yes I noticed that, hoping that V dont' go with the Skybed though, if they do my business will stay with AC/NZ
Having flown both QF and NZ's J products, I must say I prefer Skybed I.

Why? I can sit with my partner and have a conversation.... I can look out the window.... I also dont like the fact that with the NZ seat it only reclines a certain amount... At least with skybed it reclines from the chair to the bed...
Old 4th August 2008, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Morrison View Post
Having flown both QF and NZ's J products, I must say I prefer Skybed I.

Why? I can sit with my partner and have a conversation.... I can look out the window.... I also dont like the fact that with the NZ seat it only reclines a certain amount... At least with skybed it reclines from the chair to the bed...
Agree with that, I thought it was odd it was not full lie flat.
Old 4th August 2008, 02:59 PM

It is personal preference really, but on most of the flights I take I prefer sleep over conversation, and I prefer the more private suite feel that AC/NZ provide.

As I said each to their own

Looking forward to proper details and pictures of the V Australia setup though
Old 4th August 2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
I recall someone saying that the Virgin/AC/NZ suites couldn't be used by V Australia!
Hey Andrew, are you able to remember the reasoning that person gave?
I faintly remember reading some 'copyright'-style issue, but I'm not sure that's much of an issue in reality since the likes of NZ, AC and as of late CX have all adopted the Herringbone seating arrangement.

I too am suprised that VA have not gone for the herringbone style for at least 2 reasons:
1. It's the lastest craze in terms of premium cabin configuration for 'semi top-teir airlines' who do not actually have a First Class cabin (CX still has F-class, so they're an exception)
2. Provide a further point of differentiation compared to QF (unless of course VA wants to play it safe for Business Class and keep it fairly similar to QF's Business Class offering)

It's also just a tad suprising that V Australia aren't exactly trying too hard to keep in-line with the rest of the Virgin brand. I mean, not a whole lot of similarity with VS's offering, no interline or codeshare agreement with Virgin America (hopefully soon). One would think they'd absolutely jump on Virgin bandwagon both in terms of added that flare and fun to further enhance V Australia's branding, and also to highly promote international connectivity (the Virgin brand is even strong in African airline industry, so very global reach).

I guess it sounds like a no-brainer, so it must just be in the pipelines (again, hopefully).
Old 4th August 2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
I mean, not a whole lot of similarity with VS's offering, no interline or codeshare agreement with Virgin America (hopefully soon).
I guess it sounds like a no-brainer, so it must just be in the pipelines (again, hopefully).
I think this will be a huge issue for VA....

They only have NW as an interline partner. They will need to have more partners and more reciprocal frequent flyer benefits to make this work.