Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th November 2009, 01:51 PM

Default V Australia: PER-LON and SYD-NYC nonstop?

And from a reputable source, confirming rumours that have been floating around for some time...

PER-LON is an interesting scenario. Given the added fuel required, there will need to be a significant yield premium on the flight (for example, Thai couldn't make its nonstop flights to the US pay, despite having high loads). However, given world turmoil, many people might be attracted by the lack of a need to stop overseas on the way to the UK, even if it is still a one-stop option from the Australian East Coast (eg: SYD-PER-LON).

Quote:
16-hour flights to London loom

GEOFFREY THOMAS AVIATION WRITER, The West Australian

November 6, 2009, 2:25 am

V Australia, the international arm of Virgin Blue, is understood to be about to announce a new 16-hour, non-stop Perth to London service in 2011 that will be the world's second longest air route and will shave up to five hours off today's journey.

Chief executive Brett Godfrey is in final negotiations with Boeing for up to 70 aircraft that will include six of those with the world's longest range, the 300-seat Boeing 777-200LR, which can fly to virtually anywhere in the world non-stop.

The airline will also open a route linking Sydney and New York non-stop.

In February, when the airline's first 361-seat Boeing 777-300ER was delivered for the Sydney to Los Angeles route, Mr Godfrey and Sir Richard Branson, the airline's main shareholder, discussed making Perth a hub for routes to Britain and South Africa.

Sir Richard first raised his vision of London to Perth non-stop flights with _The West Australian _in late 2003 but aircraft availability and capability were obstacles.

Boeing's 777-200LR, which entered service in 2005, set the non-stop record for a commercial jet aircraft when it flew 21,600km east from Hong Kong to London over the US in November, 2005, in 22 hours and 42 minutes.

Virgin Atlantic had planned London to Perth non-stop flights with 270-seat 787-9s from 2014 but that plane is more than two years late.

Depressed aircraft prices are giving Virgin Blue a chance to fast track expansion plans.

A Virgin Blue spokesperson would only confirm that it had executives in the US looking to replace many of its 737s from 2011 and that now was a good time to shop for aircraft.

"We're often talking with Boeing and any aircraft manufacturer would certainly take that opportunity to make further presentations and typically that includes hypothetical modelling of aircraft options," the spokesperson said.

"We always keep an open mind as to opportunities and changing market conditions. Network planning and fleet strategy is part of that."

Virgin is also expected to launch a Sydney-Perth- Johannesburg route late next year.
Old 6th November 2009, 02:48 PM

Very exciting news if this is true. I can see how SYD-JFK direct would be popular, especially with the internal connections offered by Virgin America. However, I can't see the Perth option having a huge demand, except for those in Perth. It really doesn't bother me where I stop along the way (and I don't think many others care either), so I can't really see many people choosing the Perth stop for that reason. Perhaps I underestimate the demand for Perth residents going to Europe direct...
Old 6th November 2009, 02:53 PM

There are alot of British expats in Perth so it might do well from there if it happens
Old 6th November 2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Forwood View Post
so I can't really see many people choosing the Perth stop for that reason. Perhaps I underestimate the demand for Perth residents going to Europe direct...
if i had to choose a transit in Perth with the associated terminal transfer and death-by-boredom at PER International or a transit in Singapore, I think I'll pick Singapore.
Old 6th November 2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

V Australia eyeing more 777s for JFK, LHR service
Friday November 6, 2009
V Australia, the international arm of Virgin Blue, is understood to be close to announcing an order for 777-200LRs for new nonstop Sydney-New York JFK and Perth-London Heathrow service beginning in 2011.

CEO Brett Godfrey is in the final stages of negotiations with Boeing for an order of up to 70 aircraft that will include six 300-seat 777-200LRs, 737-800s and 737-900ERs for fleet replacement and expansion
http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=18418
Old 6th November 2009, 08:39 PM

For PER - LON, think VS can be able to transfer 1 LHR slot to VA for such a service? But just wonder whether the parent company of Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines will allow to do so, as it will make Singapore Airlines to lose 1 slot @ LHR as well.

However, provided they are going to operate Boeing 777-200LR aircraft, why not simply launch a direct route from Eastern or Central Australia instead? It will be able to beat all other Kangaroo operators, also I can see passengers will be easier to change flights from the East Coast to London.

Suggested Australian Ports for Direct B77L London service:
AYQ/CBR/SYD/MEL

But I can see if VA can do SYD - JFK and PER - LHR non-stop, then Qantas will be in huge threat because they don't have such a long range aircraft to operate non-stop services between these ports, they will be the biggest loser of the route. Think time has come for Qantas to consider purchasing A340-500 HGW and A380-800ER to compete with Virgin Australia.

Furthermore, just wondering as Virgin Blue is a budget airline and yet in terms of value of money, market for DJ is limited as it is real fare (including luggage, food and entertainment on board) is much more expensive than Qantas; that the group will buy those new B738 & B739 to Virgin Australia to phase out Virgin Blue and compete and grab domestic market share effectively.

Finally, no Boeing 737-700ER nor Embarer 190AR in the upcoming order? A bit disappointed. Think B737ER and E190AR can do much better for Pacific Blue to operate long haul services (For eg. OOL-HKG, DRW-SIN, DRW-HKG, DRW-BKK, SYD-SIN, SYD-HKG, MEL-TSA etc) to beat other airlines which are operating for its low cost.

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 6th November 2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
For PER - LON, think VS can be able to transfer 1 LHR slot to VA for such a service? But just wonder whether the parent company of Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines will allow to do so, as it will make Singapore Airlines to lose 1 slot @ LHR as well..
There are other airports in London apart from Heathrow. Gatwick comes to mind as one such example. Despite being a bit of a crap hole of an airport (well actually all London airports/terminals are crap holes, except aybe T5 at Heathrow) it would make an ideal place to service and offer a major point of difference over it's competitors who mostly fly to LHR.
Old 6th November 2009, 09:08 PM

I recall reading somewhere that the 77L could make it SYD-LHR but not LHR-SYD because of the prevailing winds (might be the other way around), ruling out direct flights from the east coast.
Old 6th November 2009, 09:12 PM

If you look at a map you will see that Perth is on the west coast, so that point is rather moot in the context of PER-LON flights.
Old 6th November 2009, 09:16 PM

I was actually referring to Arthur's post posing east coast options:

Quote:
Suggested Australian Ports for Direct B77L London service:
AYQ/CBR/SYD/MEL
I am thankfully reasonably knowledgable in Australian geography...