Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th May 2008, 01:21 PM

Unhappy grrr

It really grinds my gears when I hear about airlines whinging about a pilot shortage when they don't seem to make an effort to do anything about the situation. REX seems to be the only one who is willing to do anything about it (even if the contract they make you sign is bollocks)

I wanted nothing more than to be a commercial pilot, but the cost of training and the pathetic uptake of local pilots from aussie airlines forced me to look at something else.
Old 26th May 2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
what makes you think there isn't enough pilots in Australia, Sarah? the media you always give a bagging now seems to be the favoured source for you to bash the union.

surely there are enough Australian's in this country which Jetstar could hire as cabin crew? seems not...because they hire them on 457 visas too.
umm...you cant be serious? Have a look at REX, other regionals. They are winding down ops, decreasing capacity, suspending/cancelling routes.

Its really quite a mess!

However, i sincerely hope Jetstar train them good. And (not to be racist) dont hire Indonesians. Their air safety record is worse than an open sewer, and some of that rests with the pilots (Yogjakarta last year..)
Old 26th May 2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
umm...you cant be serious? Have a look at REX, other regionals. They are winding down ops, decreasing capacity, suspending/cancelling routes.

Its really quite a mess!

However, i sincerely hope Jetstar train them good. And (not to be racist) dont hire Indonesians. Their air safety record is worse than an open sewer, and some of that rests with the pilots (Yogjakarta last year..)
Rex is your only example...at the very least Rex is doing something about the situation, Qantas appears to not let its pilots defect to Jetstar without losing their seniority...they could solve the problem by removing that stupid strangle-hold for a start.

http://www.rex.com.au/MediaAndPressC...ite=IR&nid=177

take a look CX and their MO, they'll train you as a relief pilot but you'll never get to land or take the damn plane off the ground...pretty essential part of being a pilot yet they won't teach you how to do it.

Qantas will offer a cadet program but at the end of it they won't even guarantee you a job.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 26th May 2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
take a look CX and their MO, they'll train you as a relief pilot but you'll never get to land or take the damn plane off the ground...pretty essential part of being a pilot yet they won't teach you how to do it.
I was talking with one of our pilots who was heading to CX to take up that very role, and I thought it was a bit odd at the time also.
Old 26th May 2008, 03:24 PM

The whole reason why they need people for cabin crew from O/S is that they bond you something like 10k for the training on a salary of 20k a year with no overnights. Perhaps our local Jetstar cabin boys can enlighten what I have been told is true or not?
Old 26th May 2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Like has been said, pilots do not work for peanuts. Said Regional Airlines are paying peanuts.

There is NO shortage of pilots. There is however, a shortage of experienced pilots.

If airlines would offer proper pay and conditions, then the shortage would be well reduced.

Mick
Old 26th May 2008, 06:33 PM

I agree with what Mick has said, he articulated it perfectly. The GA industry is grossly underpaid, particularly instructors who can work full time and expect 10-20 k a year which is shocking to say the least.
Something like a QF cadetship or Cathay one would be difficult to establish again ie for Jetstar, but I dont see why Jetstar couldnt follow Qantas Links lead in that traineeship program, it's just a throw in of the towl in my opinion- find pilots elsewhere not putting their experience as a concern but rather their ability to work for peanuts and terms and conditions the airlines always seem to dictate so tyranically.
Really this is a great indicator of where the aust aviation industry is going- just sad to see them resorting to this.
Matt
Old 26th May 2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
The whole reason why they need people for cabin crew from O/S is that they bond you something like 10k for the training on a salary of 20k a year with no overnights. Perhaps our local Jetstar cabin boys can enlighten what I have been told is true or not?
Fortunately that's incorrect... Nothing in the contract that I signed when commencing my ground school in December stated that I am subject to a "bond"-like repayment if I resign within the 6 month probation period. If there is one then it's certainly not 10k, more like 3k. I have heard rumours of this but there's nothing in writing in my contract about that so as far as I'm concerned it does not apply to me.

And in regards to base salary; more like 34k with flying allowance of $11.70 per block hour which adds roughly about 11-12k a year to the base. And whilst we are not rostered regular overnights like QF or DJ, we still do occasionally get sent on a trip to another base when there is a shortage or they have an 'out-of-hours' situation. We also get unscheduled overnights randomly when we have sector changes, delays or cancellations. I recently had a great Saturday night in Sydney because we were asked to operate the curfew-busting flight back into SYD (from OOL) instead of our return-to-base sector to MEL. Overnight allowance is about $80 per domestic overnight tax-free.

Anyway, just thought I'd give you the facts there Brenden, not having a go at you ... I believe this is more about the pilot shortage rather than cabin crew, mind you JQ and the other airlines have a massive pool of applicants to draw upon in Oz when it comes to CC so I don't understand why they feel the need to hire overseas applicants, unless of course it is for their already established BKK base?
Old 26th May 2008, 08:47 PM

Could they also be sniffing for Jet Jocks for Vietnam.
Old 27th May 2008, 12:17 AM

Maybe I should quit UA and return home earlier than planned....might as well work for peanuts there as here !!!!!

MS