Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th July 2008, 12:25 PM

Tempted to book a one week USA trip for my bday in May

Hmmmmm
Old 27th July 2008, 02:54 PM

So what's the latest on V Australia's first 777-300ER ?

Is it still in the production line? or being painted soon, or being fitted-out?

Scott L or any others have any updates to share about this (in terms of their aircraft, not the latest news about possible flights to Sth. Africa)?
Old 27th July 2008, 03:15 PM

It is not due for delivery until the end of October so I dont think it has been put together yet.
Old 27th July 2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Morrison View Post
It is not due for delivery until the end of October so I dont think it has been put together yet.
Working back from this, if delivery is late October, then it will probably be rolled out and painted in early October, which means it'll enter the factory production line as a recognisable (albeit, in large pieces) 777 in early to mid September.

Boeing says a 777 typically takes 3-4 weeks to travel through the factory, although large components of VA's first jet are likely already in place at Everett reading to slot into the line when needed.

Cheers
Old 27th July 2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Working back from this, if delivery is late October, then it will probably be rolled out and painted in early October, which means it'll enter the factory production line as a recognisable (albeit, in large pieces) 777 in early to mid September.

Boeing says a 777 typically takes 3-4 weeks to travel through the factory, although large components of VA's first jet are likely already in place at Everett reading to slot into the line when needed.

Cheers
Thanks for the info guys

I thought it'd take a little longer than that considering the frame had to be put together, then the paint scheme applied, then the interior fitted, and then a couple of test flights before a ceremonial delivery. Anyhoot, getting closer and closer.

Soon we'll have 3 x 777-300ER's at SYD... ah, music to my ears!!
Old 27th July 2008, 07:22 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
I thought it'd take a little longer than that considering the frame had to be put together, then the paint scheme applied, then the interior fitted, and then a couple of test flights before a ceremonial delivery.
Remember, it IS a Boeing 777, not an Airbus A380.
Old 27th July 2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Remember, it IS a Boeing 777, not an Airbus A380.
Haha... good point there Nigel.

Yeh, I know, it won't exactly be one of the newest 777s to hit the skies, but you can be sure that V Australia/Virgin will create some fanfare to firstly promote the new airline, and secondly to try and take some gloss off QF's A380 inauguration.

And it doesn't matter if there are only 10 people out there waiting for the first V Aust' 77W (as opposed to the hundred or so 'spectators' for SQ's A380) I'll still be just as excited waiting for its arrival.

I'm glad as it is that SQ have a 77W operating into SYD, and TG changing to a 77H...so the more 777-300/ERs the better I say!
Old 28th July 2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
So what's the latest on V Australia's first 777-300ER ?

Is it still in the production line? or being painted soon, or being fitted-out?

Scott L or any others have any updates to share about this (in terms of their aircraft, not the latest news about possible flights to Sth. Africa)?
Hi Shameel,
No sign of any part of her yet inside the factory but things move pretty quickly up here. I'll be there when she's painted for sure. I'll update you guys when I see something!
Scott.
Old 29th July 2008, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the quick heads-up Scott.

I'll keep a keen eye on your Flickr photos.
Old 3rd August 2008, 03:30 AM

I just came across this short video about V Australia on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_99rA7s2aH8

It's a quick promo' interview with Mathias Friess who is the General Sales Manager for V Australia. He mainly talks about connectivity with Virgin Blue and so on..but he also briefly talks about their Business Class offering. This video also includes computer-generated images of V Australia's Business Class seats and seating arrangement, and a quick flash of their Economy seats (didn't really see any Premium Economy seats in the clip, but I could have missed them).

All this time we haven't had any solid info about their seating, but this video gives us a bit more insight about how V Australia's 777-300ERs will be on the inside.

EDIT: Actually, if you have a keen interest in V Australia, then you might want to bookmark the following website and keep an eye out on it for any further updates:
http://www.youtube.com/user/VirginBlueVideos

Last edited by Shameel Kumar; 3rd August 2008 at 03:43 AM.