Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th July 2008, 06:11 PM

It is funny listening to residents complaining - the airport has been there for over 85 years, no one forced them to live near the airport. Marrickville and Tempe are right near to the airport - it is logical you will get airport noise. Either that or you move the airport 2 hours away (and disturb no residents) and that is just not logical.

Even in MEL with thier location and no curfew, there is probably still people who are not happy with the noise. If the noise was reduced, they would still complain.
Old 7th July 2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
Is there any curfew at Richmond RAAF?
Yes, (11pm until 7am on memory)although the RAAF can fly 24/7 for military reasons, but the operations guys (those who schedule the flights) need approval from rather high up. Late arrivals are usually tolerated if its due to weather or uncontrollable circumstances, but no departures after 11pm on memory. We even needed permission from the base commander to conduct engine runs during the curfew hours.
Old 7th July 2008, 07:15 PM

Hi All,

Why don't the airlines use Melbourne instead, as we don't have a curfew at all.

Why can't Sydney siders fly to Melbourne then depart Australia for interntional flights, instead of us poor Melbourne Folk flying to Sydney

This is aimed at Qantas 63/64, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar, Air Canada.

As it has been previously stated, the airport was in the area long before residents moved in, and by moving into the area near the airport, you must expect aircraft noise.

If you can't handle it, you should move out, as you also must understand that airports will grow in size every few years.

If you don't understand that, you have your head in the sand!!!

Stuart
Old 7th July 2008, 07:15 PM

Here's the situation in MEL, but they're not complaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k8IvBkrvA0

Old 7th July 2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Why can't Sydney siders fly to Melbourne then depart Australia for interntional flights, instead of us poor Melbourne Folk flying to Sydney
Because flying south to Melbourne to then fly north again when going overseas (and the majority of 'the rest of the world' is in a generally northerly direction from Australia; hence why it's the 'Great Southern Land') makes no sense..

In other words, Sydney's 'on the way' when going overseas from melbourne... Melbourne is not 'on the way' for people doing it the other way...

Last edited by Adam P.; 7th July 2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 7th July 2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
It is funny listening to residents complaining - the airport has been there for over 85 years, no one forced them to live near the airport. Marrickville and Tempe are right near to the airport - it is logical you will get airport noise. Either that or you move the airport 2 hours away (and disturb no residents) and that is just not logical.

Even in MEL with thier location and no curfew, there is probably still people who are not happy with the noise. If the noise was reduced, they would still complain.
I have lived under 16R flight path since 1958 and no complaints - I have always loved plane spotting. However, I have also enjoyed 7 hours of undisturbed sleeping time which I value. The curfew has been part of the airport regime for almost my entire living memory, and that is the regime I willingly live under.

A slight relaxation of the curfew for unavoidable delays, newer quieter technology, and on 34L as far as possible, is probably tolerable. But a wholesale abandonment of the curfew is a whole new ball game and not tolerable even for very moderate and normally well behaved individuals!! Sleep deprivation seems to have strange effects on people!
Old 7th July 2008, 09:45 PM

time to ease the curfew slightly I'd say - and stop choking our economy this way. More flights come in and out = more money rolling into our economy.

Was watching the news and heard the statement "the curfew is the only time of relief for residents living under the flight path". Well this statement can only be true if they were using the same runway the whole day.
Old 7th July 2008, 10:21 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Parker View Post
I thought the airport was here long before the residents. I have no sympathy. The world standing of Sydney is only getting stymied by the short sightedness of both the state and federal governments. Sydney Airport is just one of many number of venues / services affected the inactions of both these governments (including former govt's). All they seem to look at is their current term ahead in politics and not the long term picture. I am just sick of it and had enough.
Here Here!!!!

Old 8th July 2008, 07:53 AM

The funny thing is with the level of traffic these days (particularly with all of the trucks around Tempe) at all hours of the day, that road traffic is pretty loud and would be just as disruptive as air noise.
Old 8th July 2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
A slight relaxation of the curfew for unavoidable delays, newer quieter technology, and on 34L as far as possible, is probably tolerable. But a wholesale abandonment of the curfew is a whole new ball game and not tolerable even for very moderate and normally well behaved individuals!! Sleep deprivation seems to have strange effects on people!
Hear, hear Philip!!!

I can live during the day with the Howard imposed flightpaths which were moved almost overhead for the first time since the airport was opened because I can see the planes.

But I can't support a significant relaxation of the curfew overnight.

Also, as 16L/34R was opened in 1994, does that mean people who lived under that flightpath pre-94 can complain?

Loved the letter in today's SMH from the guy in Leichhardt stating that "they" were lying to say that the A380 was quieter - it is soooooo obviously much quieter than a 744 with it's relatively light load. The heavily loaded A345 takeoff late at night seems louder....

Kent