Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th July 2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
Its one of those things that will just get cheaper and cheaper with time, it just depends if Melbourne can hold out without a rail link to make it cheap enough.

The railway in Shanghai rakes in enough money to pay for operating costs, but thats it, there is no way they're going to turn a profit from it.

So for this railway to be a MAGLEV, i think it's going to have to be a wholly Government operated train line, and not sold off to Connex (!!) or anyone else, otherwise the cost of a fare will just go through the roof.

The Governent has to be prepared to lose a large sum of money if it wants a maglev..
Transrapid seems to be the one who wants it so badly.
Old 20th July 2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Transrapid seems to be the one who wants it so badly.
Sorry, i meant if they wish to go down that path of a maglev.
Old 21st July 2008, 01:25 PM

Rumours floating around about Mr Brumby confirming a rail link between Melbourne and Tulla??

Confirm?

Old 21st July 2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas M View Post
Rumours floating around about Mr Brumby confirming a rail link between Melbourne and Tulla??

Confirm?
Nothing big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC
The Victorian Premier, John Brumby, says a rail link between Melbourne and the airport will be considered.

Strong growth in international and domestic travel through Melbourne Airport has renewed calls for a rail link.

Airport executives want to start planning for a rail link, in the next three to five years.

Mr Brumby says while the link is not on the agenda at the moment, the idea may be looked at again in the future.

"We looked at that when we came to Government, the numbers weren't right," he said.

"But there is no doubt that as the airport grows and Melbourne grows in the longer term this issue will come back on the agenda."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ction=business
Old 21st July 2008, 04:24 PM

If it was Connex run(), I doubt it would be efficient anyway, but It would be so cheap if it was to be kept in Zone 1/2.
Plus:
-all Vline Travellers get free travel on any Melbourne Public Transport, so you could come from Geelong to the Airport return for only $10.
-It would cost like $2 one way to the Airport on a Two-Hour ticket ex Sthn Cross.

As Long as they dont go off the Idea at Sydney and Charge Megabucks.....

Old 21st July 2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
As Long as they dont go off the Idea at Sydney and Charge Megabucks.....
And how likely would that happen? Both Sydney and Brisbane charge ridiculous fees to use the line.
Old 21st July 2008, 04:47 PM

Yes, but Melbourne has the Cheapest Public Transport System in the Country.

People would not pay huge $$$ for a train service to the airport if its run by someone like Connex. Mabye they could use regional trains for the route?

Old 21st July 2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, but Melbourne has the Cheapest Public Transport System in the Country.

People would not pay huge $$$ for a train service to the airport if its run by someone like Connex. Mabye they could use regional trains for the route?
I agree with the first part, Melbourne's public transport is indeed cheap. But let's not forget governments have a record of unwillingly spending large amount of money on transport and hence PPP.

Brisbane's AirTrain charges $13.5 one-way to CBD meanwhile Sydney's AirportLink charges $13.4 to CBD. I don't think neither of them worth the money. The service is not brilliant, frequency is far from desirable, trains can be flifhy at times. Don't forget 400 bus runs through Sydney Airport and if you travel light, you can save at least $10. Not to mention Brisbane's AirTrain does not meet early or late flights, which is pretty useless.

Is Connex that bad? Surely it can't get worse than CityRail. I think that a dedicated line and trains might work, like Hong Kong's Airport Express. Otherwise if it shares infastucture and rolling stocks with the rest of the system, it might well become another white elephant.

For it to be successful, the price must be reasonable. Skytrain currently charges $16 one-way between Tullamarine and the city. But the frequency is excellent, gets to the airport in just 20 minutes.
Old 21st July 2008, 06:26 PM

The current bus service charges an arm and a leg. last time we had a public transport strike my wife used the airport bus and cost then 18 dollars each way.
Old 21st July 2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mak View Post
I agree with the first part, Melbourne's public transport is indeed cheap. But let's not forget governments have a record of unwillingly spending large amount of money on transport and hence PPP.

Brisbane's AirTrain charges $13.5 one-way to CBD meanwhile Sydney's AirportLink charges $13.4 to CBD. I don't think neither of them worth the money. The service is not brilliant, frequency is far from desirable, trains can be flifhy at times. Don't forget 400 bus runs through Sydney Airport and if you travel light, you can save at least $10. Not to mention Brisbane's AirTrain does not meet early or late flights, which is pretty useless.

Is Connex that bad? Surely it can't get worse than CityRail. I think that a dedicated line and trains might work, like Hong Kong's Airport Express. Otherwise if it shares infastucture and rolling stocks with the rest of the system, it might well become another white elephant.

For it to be successful, the price must be reasonable. Skytrain currently charges $16 one-way between Tullamarine and the city. But the frequency is excellent, gets to the airport in just 20 minutes.
100% agree with Micheal.

And yes, Connex is bad. Basically its just "Connex apologizes for the delay", and thats all you hear from them. Plus not to mention the thousands of cancellations.
And you Stand, not sit...