Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2009, 11:48 AM

Its one of the things that Qantas will always battle against.

Australians are patriotic, but will also always support the underdog.

I also don't subscribe to the concept of Qantas fleecing the Aussie public. When will people understand that flying jets is an EXPENSIVE job, and that sometimes, prices SHOULD remain higher to ensure safety and quality, and continuity of service during a downturn. Qantas could for sure have lowered their prices during the good times. And when it turns bad, 30,000 Australians are out of a job because Qantas doesn't have the reserves to be able to ride out the downturn.

I do find it quite rediculous though that when asked about selling Qantas, and foreign ownership/investment, the Aussie public always says NO, it must remain Australian Owned... and yet when the choice comes to flying, they will fly SQ or CX instead of the national carrier. That is fine, free choice... but you can't have it both ways... support the national carrier, or they will be forced to seek foreign investment.
Old 16th February 2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post

perfect example, it cost me $20 to checkin a bag for a ticket that I paid nearly $400 for, at least with $40 I pay extra for QF domestic I get a meal, free baggage allowance and a movie.
Can I ask why you were charged the $20?
Old 16th February 2009, 11:56 AM

A lot the reader's comments are highly exagerated but there is some truth to it.

From a travel agent's point of view from AN's collapse to 9/11 the arrogance displayed by the QF industry sales was without equal. And basically they could really get away with it - there was no real alternative.

Now they are pretty much knocking at our door doing things which were unimaginable just a few months back - price matching competitors First and Business fares too. 2 for 1 deals in premium cabins. Lots of calls from QF sales such as 'we value you as our industry partner'...

It's all a bit too rich really - I've got a long memory and now I really don't need QF - I built up good relationships with other carriers who supported me and now I support them. QF gave me the agent nothing - so sorry QF - deal with it! You burnt your bridges big time with the travel industry - you lost my support a while back.
Old 16th February 2009, 12:00 PM

I love it when the average Aussie jumps up and down and screams to be rescued from some disaster be it natural or man made somewhere in the world looking for Qantas to come and rescue them en masse
Old 16th February 2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen H View Post
Its one of the things that Qantas will always battle against.

Australians are patriotic, but will also always support the underdog.

I also don't subscribe to the concept of Qantas fleecing the Aussie public. When will people understand that flying jets is an EXPENSIVE job, and that sometimes, prices SHOULD remain higher to ensure safety and quality, and continuity of service during a downturn. Qantas could for sure have lowered their prices during the good times. And when it turns bad, 30,000 Australians are out of a job because Qantas doesn't have the reserves to be able to ride out the downturn.

I do find it quite rediculous though that when asked about selling Qantas, and foreign ownership/investment, the Aussie public always says NO, it must remain Australian Owned... and yet when the choice comes to flying, they will fly SQ or CX instead of the national carrier. That is fine, free choice... but you can't have it both ways... support the national carrier, or they will be forced to seek foreign investment.
I dont know if its about the undedog, if you read through the comments people have left its poor service and being overcharged that many have the problem with, and thats my stance on it is the over charging, Ive never flown QF international so I cant comment on their service.

Lets be honest, the airline industry with the arrival of LCC has changed forever, people who dont understand that are living under a rock, and clearly those airlines that dont trim their costs, fully utilise their employees wont last, if people expect fine china and cutlery of the 1970's they are kidding themselves.
Old 16th February 2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
Can I ask why you were charged the $20?
because I was down with food poisoning and had no energy to carry my bag, so I checked it in, not knowing that at 2am when I made the booking because I needed to get home that it was for a flight where it would cost $20 to checkin a bag at the airport.

$390 1 way airfare and no free baggage checkin is beyond rip-off.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 16th February 2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
I love it when the average Aussie jumps up and down and screams to be rescued from some disaster be it natural or man made somewhere in the world looking for Qantas to come and rescue them en masse
Yeah that's just expected tho.

I must say I personally didn't like the direction QF headed for the last 5 years or so. I personally think it had a lot to do with a little arrogant man who has since left the QF group.
I hope Mr. Joyce can improve the way that QF is run, im sure he will.
Old 16th February 2009, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Harris View Post
A lot the reader's comments are highly exagerated but there is some truth to it.

From a travel agent's point of view from AN's collapse to 9/11 the arrogance displayed by the QF industry sales was without equal. And basically they could really get away with it - there was no real alternative.

Now they are pretty much knocking at our door doing things which were unimaginable just a few months back - price matching competitors First and Business fares too. 2 for 1 deals in premium cabins. Lots of calls from QF sales such as 'we value you as our industry partner'...

It's all a bit too rich really - I've got a long memory and now I really don't need QF - I built up good relationships with other carriers who supported me and now I support them. QF gave me the agent nothing - so sorry QF - deal with it! You burnt your bridges big time with the travel industry - you lost my support a while back.

QF had alot to do with the AN collapse, Jon Anderson was in CASA's ears and Andersons missus was on the QF board at the time, at the time QF's share price was terrible, 9/11 had just happened so that was going to hurt them also, they have had the pacific route all nicely 'locked' up for them and a few other carriers up until now.

Now they are 'screaming' to be patronised Highly embarassing article and I wouldnt be too pleased if this was in relation to VB.
Old 16th February 2009, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
because I was down with food poisoning and had no energy to carry my bag, so I checked it in, not knowing that at 2am when I made the booking because I needed to get home that it was for a flight where it would cost $20 to checkin a bag at the airport.

$390 1 way airfare and no free baggage checkin is beyond rip-off.
Ahh okay, unfortunately thats the policy if you dont pre pay now days, but I think they could have done a bit better considering you were unwell.
Old 16th February 2009, 12:16 PM

I'll give the cabin crew 10/10 for their looking after me, the CSM was outstanding and couldn't do enough to help, considering I was 39.1c and literally cooking...as soon as I let her know she did her very best to keep me hydrated and cool.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Closed Thread