Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st April 2008, 06:07 AM

Just answering my own question. Tix just went on sale over here for $777US return.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 1st April 2008, 07:52 AM
Prolific Member

Premier Welcomes V Australia's Take-off

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh today congratulated Virgin Blue co-founders Sir Richard Branson and Brett Godfrey on the arrival of their new international airline, V Australia.

"Just as Virgin Blue, with its Brisbane HQ has been a huge boost for Queensland, I know V Australia will be an enormous success," Ms Bligh said.

"I am particularly pleased that Brisbane will gain around 100 new jobs as part of the V Australia corporate operations.

"While Sydney is well established as the long haul hub for Australia I am pleased that Brisbane's vital HQ role in the Virgin business will be further strengthened with these new corporate jobs linked to the international airline.

"Brisbane is the aviation hub for Australia and Virgin's new international airline will further strengthen our importance in this industry.

"Virgin Blue's CEO Brett Godfrey assures me that we'll all be able to do that direct from Brisbane to LA in the very near future," the Premier said.

(Government of Queensland)
Old 1st April 2008, 08:27 AM

A quote from Scott Rochfort:

"While it is tempting to see anything Virgin Blue does on traditional Qantas turf as an attack on the bigger carrier, it may be that it isn’t Qantas in Virgin Blue’s sights but United, which has the smaller share of the route, has prices slightly above Qantas but also has what is generally regarded as an inferior offering and a low profile on the route."

That seems surprising. I would have though UA would have been cheaper than QF across the board. Can any UA regulars confirm this?

http://aviationrecord.com/search-res...&articleId=321
Old 1st April 2008, 09:57 AM

Based on Richard Bransons's light hearted reaction to the question "What do you think of Qantas?" - I think it is aimed squarely at Qantas!
Old 1st April 2008, 10:08 AM

let me put it this way then...UA is cheaper, will offer a new product that along with Virgin Australia will be a two pronged attack on Qantas' market share on the route.

I think its fairly and squarely aimed at Qantas, no doubt about it...

http://www.suitedreams.united.com/

this is UA's new offering..come to think of it...their business class could well become the best on the transpacific run and their first class suite isn't bad either.

there is also the small fact that UA offers probably the best FF scheme going, its always got seats available, easy upgrades are available and the mileage needed is far less than most competitors, its why I choose Star alliance! I've NEVER not gotten a seat with miles when I wanted it.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX

Last edited by Montague S; 1st April 2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 1st April 2008, 10:50 AM

will UA's new offering also include upgrades to the Y class product? Lack of AVOD PTVs on their transpacific runs is telling (would prevent me from flying them, in any case!)
Old 1st April 2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
That seems surprising. I would have though UA would have been cheaper than QF across the board. Can any UA regulars confirm this?
UA pricing is all over the place I have seen some silly silly prices from them at times and for the current poor product offerings I have no idea how they get away with it.

Generally though UA is SLIGHTLY cheaper than QF

VA is undercutting both of them...for now
Old 1st April 2008, 11:06 AM

Steve Jones: No, not real upgrade of the Y cabin at all, and on the 744's no seat back TV's either They are getting rid of the old projectors and putting in some new TV for overhead viewing ONLY though.

Montague S: I don't see UA as having the best J class when compared QF, AC, NZ and VA. UA's J product to me looks like Skybed II which will be on the QF A380. What do you see as being better on the UA J seats ? I am not going to call them suites as they don't look private enough

I would much rather fly AC, NZ, VA and have a nice private suite product over the UA Skybed looking product or the silly QF Skybed 1.

As for UA's First class product it looks like the same basic seat design that AC and NZ have in the J product. They also use the same "sleep on side with legs bent" photos as the seat/bed is not long enough, much like AC/NZ. The walls of the First suite are the same as AC/NZ, also the coat hook is the same. The only real differcence, which is a good thing, is that the seat is wider and there is more flat space to put all your stuff on. The AC/NZ J seats are very narrow near your elbows/head.

The way I see it and please correct me, which I am sure you will

UA First = Slightly better than AC/NZ Business class
UA Business = QF Business, worse than AC/NZ
Old 1st April 2008, 11:07 AM

Thanks Andrew
Old 1st April 2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Steve Jones: No, not real upgrade of the Y cabin at all, and on the 744's no seat back TV's either They are getting rid of the old projectors and putting in some new TV for overhead viewing ONLY though.

Montague S: I don't see UA as having the best J class when compared QF, AC, NZ and VA. UA's J product to me looks like Skybed II which will be on the QF A380. What do you see as being better on the UA J seats ? I am not going to call them suites as they don't look private enough

I would much rather fly AC, NZ, VA and have a nice private suite product over the UA Skybed looking product or the silly QF Skybed 1.

As for UA's First class product it looks like the same basic seat design that AC and NZ have in the J product. They also use the same "sleep on side with legs bent" photos as the seat/bed is not long enough, much like AC/NZ. The walls of the First suite are the same as AC/NZ, also the coat hook is the same. The only real differcence, which is a good thing, is that the seat is wider and there is more flat space to put all your stuff on. The AC/NZ J seats are very narrow near your elbows/head.

The way I see it and please correct me, which I am sure you will

UA First = Slightly better than AC/NZ Business class
UA Business = QF Business, worse than AC/NZ
I think UA new F & J class is modelled around ANA's new F & J class but with the emphasis being on the flat seat in a sort of cocoon and fully horizontal in J class. Though UA seems to have upped the room compared with ANA.

AC J class is nothing more than a derivative of NZ and Delta is almost identical too, just different fabric and headrests, but essentially the design is remarkably similar...Qantas would be in the most financially sound position of all those carriers but did the least in upgrading their product for the A380...makes no sense to me, what will the realistic life-span of the skybed be?

the one I'm waiting for is Emirates...

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX