Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th March 2008, 04:23 PM

LAX Schedule is now in Amadeus

SYD-LAX (Daily from 15th December)

VA1 DEP SYD 9.45PM Arrive LAX 4.30PM

VA2 DEP LAX 11.30PM Arrive SYD 9.20AM

Trying to see if there is anything else... will post if I find..

Some DJ flights are also carrying the VA code ie PERLAX

Los Angeles Int'l CA US [KLAX]
SYD Sydney Kingsford Smith NS AU [YSSY]
MON 12 Jan 2009 - 19 Jan 2009

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ----------------------------------------------------------------
VA 1 SYD 21:45 LAX 16:30 77W 0 1234567 13:45 1 B 15 Dec 14 Mar
VA 2 LAX 23:30 SYD 09:20 +2 77W 0 1234567 14:50 3 1 15 Dec 14 Mar

Last edited by Michael Morrison; 29th March 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 29th March 2008, 05:08 PM

Thanks a million for the update Michael!!

Regarding all that Amadeus jargon towards the end of your post, anywhere in there does it state when VA plan to begin service?

I see 15 Dec in there, but don't want to make assumptions on info/data I have no experience in interpreting.

Also, what's with the "MON 12 Jan 2009 - 19 Jan 2009" .. is that just a random week you chose to get the info' ?
Old 29th March 2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
Thanks a million for the update Michael!!

Regarding all that Amadeus jargon towards the end of your post, anywhere in there does it state when VA plan to begin service?
Hi Shameel..

I use gthe KVS tool which shows some airline availability etc. Basically this flight is not yet listed in the Airline systems to book. It has only been released int he Amadeus timetable (probably because Virgin have asked for it not to be shown, otherwise you owuld se it on Expedia etc)

You can also find the same info by going direct to Amadeus www.amadeus.net and going to the timetable search (dont do a fare search as it wont come up)

I looked at SYD-LAX before 15 DEC and couldnt find anything for VA so I am guessing 15 DEC is the launch date.

As for the line until 14 March, there may be a slight time change ie 5 minutes or it may be because that is as far as the amadeus system will show timetables. (ie 330 days or something)
Old 29th March 2008, 05:42 PM

Thanks mate! Makes all that info a lot clearer.

Interesting that it seems like Dec 15 will be the launch date. This whole time VA talked about late Nov'..but then again, things always change in this industry, and 2 weeks off ain't bad at all.

I'm glad to hear that at least Amadeus has it from the 15th since I'm planning to fly to USA on the 20th of Dec, and then again on the 11th of Jan. V Australia here I come if their fares are good!
Old 29th March 2008, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the update Michael.

Its interesting the flight leaves SYD in the evening and gets to LAX in late afternoon. Pax would get a full day in SYD but the downside to the 16:30 arrival time at LAX means there is only minimal opportunity for connecting flights.

Oh well, we shall wait and see when V Australia will officially launch its operations.
Old 29th March 2008, 06:15 PM

I guess you would have to stay the night at LAX, and catch a earling morning flight, if you plan to travel on to JFK or somehwhere in that enormous continent

At least a small chance to sleep at the beggining of the flight as its nice and dark

Old 29th March 2008, 06:51 PM

Exactly, the plus of such a late departure is that once you're on the plane, the average person will fall asleep in a couple of hours. Also, people get to spend the entire day going about their normal lives and still have ample time to catch this flight.. so it might allow more people to still go to work in the day and catch the weeknight flight out instead of having to opt for a weekend flight.
Though it's gonna suck not being able to get any good departure photos of their aircraft!

I'm guessing the very late departure was also done on purpose to allow VA to utilise the aircraft on domestic runs for DJ. Maybe a few hours after it's arrival from LAX it might do a SYD-PER run, come back to SYD, then off again to LAX.... much better than having the aircraft sit out all day at LAX like QF do.

Also, with the commencement of V Australia flights in December, will this mean that the Virgin Group of airlines will offer around-the-world routing?
Old 29th March 2008, 06:56 PM

Basically around the world yes, also I wonder if VAustralia will have onward connections with VirginAmerica??, No Doubt that VAustralia will use VirginAmerica as a branch off point, now that VirginAmerica are expanding rapidly. VirginAmerica could also do quite well out of this move in terms of Connections. I would certianly try them, i like the sound of all that "mood lightning" in their buses.

Old 29th March 2008, 08:49 PM

A 4:30 pm arrival gives ample time for connections for all destinations on Virgin America.

You could connect to SEA, JFK, SFO, and Washington DC (IAD). Plenty of connections on UA and others as well. The problem with doing SYD-JFK or SYD to WAS is that you are going to either have to leave first thing in the morning or arrive first thing in the morning which ever way you go. So I don't think it matters much if the LAX-JFK segment is a red eye flight.

Of interest, what also works is a connection to LHR on VS with a 2120 dep and 1850 arrival.
Old 29th March 2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Mahoney View Post
I guess you would have to stay the night at LAX, and catch a earling morning flight, if you plan to travel on to JFK or somehwhere in that enormous continent

At least a small chance to sleep at the beggining of the flight as its nice and dark
And this might discoruage people going to the east-coast from using the service if an overnight stay is required. I guess QF would still retain the advantage in their ability to offer same day connection to most (if not all) major cities in the US/Canada.