Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th October 2023, 07:08 AM

The first Finnair A333, OH-LTR operating QF292, the replacement flight number for QF82, has arrived in SYD this morning.

Jim, B789 ZNL has operated QF36 (ex QF81 Sunday) and A380 OQL QF38 (ex QF81 Saturday) both SIN-MEL this morning. OQL will ferry to SYD later today and possibly commence operating QF127/128 tomorrow with an A380 scheduled on the HKG run for most of the NW season until late February, 2024.
Old 4th December 2023, 10:39 PM

Just out of curiosity, can anyone help with a bit of information please?
From the records I've seen, it looks as though the three newest 787s, ZNL, ZNM and ZNN have so far not done a QF63/64 rotation from SYD to JNB. They seem to have been on all other routes at some stage, but not JNB. Is there any reason or just a coincidence?
Thanks in advance
Old 5th December 2023, 11:29 AM

Probably due to the sequence of flying. It will change once one goes in for maintenance. We seem to miss ZND and ZNJ here in Perth on the 9/10 rotation and then we get them for a few weeks.
Old 5th December 2023, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
Probably due to the sequence of flying. It will change once one goes in for maintenance. We seem to miss ZND and ZNJ here in Perth on the 9/10 rotation and then we get them for a few weeks.
Brenden, I understand what you are saying but I don't believe that it is it. ZNL has been here since the end of April this year, and ZNM and ZNN since June and July respectively. There has been 787s in maintenance over the past few months including wing repaints and ZNC is currently in HKG. ZNA and ZNB have already been and all three spent several weeks in HKG. If you watch the 787 rotations they all tend to do stints on all routes and this fits with your comments about ZND and ZNJ.
However, the three newest have not done a JNB rotation at all from what I can see. There must be a reason for it.
Old 5th December 2023, 10:46 PM

Yes confirmed. I have looked through all the aircraft operating QF63 since April, 2023 and ZNL, ZNM and ZNN have not flown to JNB at all. It is a different story for QF27 to SCL, however which has similar flight times.

Is this an ETOPS issue with an aircraft having to have a certain number of hours before it can fly the really long overwater routes? I can't find any mention of this as ETOPS is certified mainly for a specific aircraft types.
Old 6th December 2023, 09:56 AM

It shouldn't be ETOPS issue, as they have all flown to LHR ex Perth and should have all flown to SCL now too. Perhaps it is a simple aircraft rotation.
Old 6th December 2023, 12:18 PM

I can't see that it's an ETOPS issue given all three in question have operated SCL. The only possible regulatory/compliance issue would be for polar operations as I don't think (may be wrong though) QF27/28 go that far south, whereas QF63/64 routinely do - but why only those three aircraft would be unable to operate polar is beyond me unless QF have not installed some of the equipment...
Old 6th December 2023, 06:17 PM

I don't think it's anything to do with polar operations either because ZNM I know for sure was just about over the ice once or twice on the way back from SCL. This was way further south than I've ever seen QF63 or 64.
It's just interesting that the three of these have done everything except JNB. Got to be a reason.
Old 21st February 2024, 10:03 PM

In relation to my previous posts on this topic, it seems that ZNL is operating QF63 to JNB today. I believe this will be the first visit to JNB by one the three newest 787s in the fleet.
There is still no apparent reason why the three newest haven't done a 63/64 up until today. Perhaps they will start.
Old 27th February 2024, 11:27 AM

ZNN is operating QF63 to JNB today, I believe this is the first time it operates to JNB. Something must have changed to see L/M/N on JNB run.