Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th December 2009, 03:48 PM

Default Recent changes to QF seat allocation?

Hi,

It seems QF have been playing around again both with domestic seat allocation but also with how international upgrades with points are being cleared. My theory is that these have gone back to being done based on surname, rather than fare class or status credits as I am finding myself further down the back each week.

Can anyone shed any light on how frequent flyers of the same status are ranked these days?

Thanks !
Old 8th December 2009, 04:31 PM

It was redone recently so that all exit rows and x number of rows towards the front were reserved for higher up FF tiers.

Doesn't effect me...Bronze FF and surname starting with an X.

I'm always at the back!
Old 8th December 2009, 05:54 PM

I tend to agree with you there.I always seem to be way down the back and very rarely with a window seat.
Old 8th December 2009, 07:05 PM

I was wondering more how within the tiers. I will have 3150 status credits by the end of this week and I am now finding myself further down the back, so it seems that status credits don't seem to matter?
Old 8th December 2009, 07:34 PM

Last 6+ months I always get 6F on a 737 and the 2nd row of economy, window seat on the right on all other aircraft types.

Currently QC Silver
Old 9th December 2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin R View Post
I was wondering more how within the tiers.
Before your status comes into play I believe the system allocates seats based on fare level. Or that fare level is a higher determining factor than status - to a point. Perhaps with the GFC and less demand in the Business cabin there is more people buying the higher Economy fares?

At an employee event recently a woman from Airports spoke about the allocation of seats and said changes were being made but that was more for international.

I can tell you that from a staff point of view that when travelling in Economy (whether on duty or leisure ticket) the system will always allocate centre seats, from the back of the cabin and after all revenue passengers have been allocated seats. This sometimes means we filter further forward or we are allocated windows or aisles as customers are already allocated seats based on their requirements, but it always fills from the back with staff.

We have been told we are seated in this way as the system identifies we have 'zero value' in terms of revenue and status and seats us accordingly. So the reverse is true for staff!
Old 10th December 2009, 09:32 PM

A friend of mine who is QF platinum, FF and always flies J for work, recently flew CNS-AYQ-PER on the 717 (no business cabin), and was allocated 22E. He struggled to understand how some of his staff traveling with him were allocated 2, 5 and even some in 15 (exit row). The staff are not FF with Qantas and do not travel regularly.

On arrival in PER, he spoke to a QF supervisor who told him a new seating allocation system had been introduced and was certainly raising the eyebrows of some regular business travelers.

3 days later he received a phone call from Sydney to apologise and assure him that his preferred seat would be available for his future travel this year.

Last edited by Scott Loveday; 10th December 2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12th December 2009, 01:50 PM

I have had a similiar thing on BME-PER on the 717 being allocated row 8 on a flexi-saver with a tour group taking up rows 1-7. Previously on a points upgrade to business I have always had row 1. Recently I am struggling to get row 3 on a mid afternoon flight (with crew in rows 1-2). So something is up.