Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2010, 05:50 PM

Default Some Questions concerning NZ ATC..

hey guys,

let me introduce myself: my name is flo, im 24 years old and i was born in austria, vienna, where i also live since the day of my birth.

i study sports science which, at the moment, isnt really interesting for me anymore (dont ask!) so last year i decided i want to do somewthing else. i applied to become an air traffic controller in austria but unfortunately i failed during the second period of selection. most of my test scores were above average but the results of 2 of the tests didnt meet the requirements.

unfortunately you can only take the test once a life (in one country). i do REALLY want to become an air traffic controller and i know that i have the skills for the job.
of course i could also applie for the eurocontrol, dfs, skyguide but since i have relatives in NZ and also thought of leaving austria anyway, i just wanted to ask a few things for NZ ATC:

- the website says "for NZ residents only"...what does this exactly mean? do i have to be a NZ citizen and if yes, is it hard to become one?
- it also says that u have to be at least 20 yrs to apply but theres no information for the maximung age (e.g. in austria it is 25 yrs)
- for the selection process: the tests that you can take on the website are the actual ones from the testing?
- is nz atc also split in tower/approach and center?! i yes, how many ppl work in what place?
- do you guys also work in shifts? if yes, how is it organised? 5 days work/3 days off?

thats it fo the moment - i really hope, you dont tell me: forget about that one, if your not from NZ, you aint got no chance :/

thx a lot

cheers

flo
Old 7th April 2010, 06:19 PM

Hello and welcome.

Quote:
the website says "for NZ residents only"
You need to be a NZ resident, you do not need to be a NZ citizen.

Example Australian citizens are also NZ residents and Vice Versa

also certain foreign citizens (ie British) that are Australian residents are also NZ residents by virtue of thier Australian resident status.

But this may not be the best place to ask about ATC jobs, it may be better to try here : http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-a...-questions-91/

dg-p means downunder, godzone (NZ) & pacific.

You could also try here for Australian ATC jobs : http://www.airservices.gov.au/careers/atc/default.asp

Good luck

Anthony T
Old 7th April 2010, 07:34 PM

Look at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ for info re NZ residency.

Australian's are not "residents" of New Zealand - they are technically issued a residents visa/permit at the border IF they meet the visa/permit requirements - the same applies for NZ residents/citizens visiting Australia.
Old 8th April 2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post
also certain foreign citizens (ie British) that are Australian residents are also NZ residents by virtue of thier Australian resident status.
First I have heard of this too...sounds a bit iffy. But I am happy to be corrected.
Old 8th April 2010, 04:19 PM

Adam,

Not quite.

Quote:
Australian citizens are exempt from the requirement to hold a visa to travel to New Zealand or a permit to be in New Zealand, and residents of Australia are exempt from the requirement to obtain a temporary or residence visa. Certain exclusions apply, principally for persons with a criminal record. Australians travelling to New Zealand require only a valid Australian passport.
SOURCE:
Old 9th April 2010, 05:50 AM

just to let you know - im from austria (middle europe) not australia
Old 9th April 2010, 10:14 AM

Florain

don worry a lot of people think strudel was first baked in Australia

anyway per http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.a...103&id1=J34462

you need to be either a NZ citizen or a permanent resident

permanent resident will take a number of years to obtain
Old 9th April 2010, 10:27 AM

Schnapps too is another lovely Austrian invention.