Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th November 2012, 12:15 PM

Default USA Travel/flight question

Hope this is the correct forum for this question;

As a first time international traveller, I am planning two upcoming trips to America early next year.
My travel plans will see me in the US for 10 days, then return home to Australia for 3 weeks, then back to America for 2 weeks before returning home again.

Using rough dates for example,
March 1st- fly to the US
March 10th - fly to Australia

March 30th- fly to the US
April 15th - fly to Australia

My question is in relation to booking flights using different carriers.
Could I purchase a return flight with Virgin Australia, booked for March 1st, returning on April 15th on one ticket,
and book a return Qantas ticket for March 10th (to Aus) returning to the US on March 30th?

March 1st- fly to the US (Virgin Aus)
March 10th - fly to Australia (Qantas)

March 30th- fly to the US (Qantas)
April 15th - fly to Australia(Virgin Aus)

Will this scenario cause any problems or confusion for staff when I pass through immigration/customs for my March 10th or 30th flights, as I am exiting the country on a different ticket to what I arrived on?

Cheers
Old 24th November 2012, 02:49 PM

They are really only concerned if you have evidence of a return trip - I can' see it being an issue as you will have two return trips booked.

Maybe ring each airline to see what they say
Old 24th November 2012, 09:04 PM
Lukas M

Have done this. No problems at all. Flying Virgin Australia ex LAX is the same as flying domestically with Virgin America, as in there didn't appear to be any immigration/customs. TSA only cross check boarding pass with Passport/USA License.

Not sure about flying with QF though.
Old 25th November 2012, 11:25 AM

Yep no problems with your plan, Adam. There are no outbound immigration formalities at LAX, and when you arrive in LAX just have the flight number/date of your departing flight handy, in case you're asked about it (which you almost certainly won't be).
Old 25th November 2012, 11:51 AM

Yep, they only want evidence that you will be leaving the country (if indeed they even ask to see it when you arrive). Who you leave with doesn't matter.
Old 25th November 2012, 05:54 PM

Thankyou all very much for your replies.

So in the unlikely event that upon my first arrival into LAX (flying VA), I am asked about my return details, which of my two return tickets should I present as proof;

The Qantas ticket - for departure from LAX on March 10th,
or the VA ticket - for departure from LAX on April 15th?

...I guess it would be best to have both tickets handy, and provide all the details.
ie. I am making two return trips in the space of a month.
Old 25th November 2012, 06:12 PM

Present the ticket for your next departure from the US.

It's absolutely not an issue, I've entered the USA and countries throughout Asia, Europe and the Middle East with differing in and outbound carriers and I've never had an issue - they're only concerned you meet the visa conditions (so outbound ticket within the time limit of whatever visa you're traveling on).
Old 26th November 2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks Adam/all, good to know.
I appreciate your help.

As a sidenote, is having your luggage locked shut advised when flying internationally and domestically around the US?
My concern for having a locked luggage is more to having illegal item(s) placed into your bag, rather then having your personal items stolen from your bag.

Some believe its wise to lock or 'wrap' your luggage when travelling to and from Asia, would travel to America pose the same level of luggage tampering?

Last edited by Adam.S; 26th November 2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:16 AM

anyone who says to wrap luggage in Asia, has never travelled seriously, only virgin travellers do it

(a literal use of the word)
Old 27th November 2012, 06:19 AM

Adam, it is really no better nor no worse than anywhere in the world, and if you are worried about someone putting something in your bag your best of not going anywhere!

If you are going to use a lock make sure to use one that is TSA approved so American security can open it. If you don't and they need to open your bag then out come the bolt cutters. TSA approved locks can be brought in most places that sell bags and most bags these days also have TSA approved locks.

The problem with TSA locks though is you can safely assume your bag can be opened by anyone airside, which gets back to the point in the first para.