Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2011, 07:13 AM
Prolific Member

I also know that flight went thru BNE as well as Austasia 135/136 when it was Australia-Asia airlines.
Old 17th July 2011, 04:40 PM

My thoughts:

A new airline called Qantas Asia will be announced on August 24th (approximate anniversary of the pilots strike back in '89)

Qantas will move all their long haul operations and base them out of Singapore/Hong Kong/Bangkok and thus require their pilots to resign contracts on much lower salaries than what they are currently on.

I personally do not think they have been over paid at all. My personal opinion is that they are under paid at the moment. When I worked for a company my salary increased relative to inflation how QF pilots didn't. To me that is disgusting.

Alan Joyce says in not so many words - I like the pilots but I don't like the unions. ABC Interview

Thought - The union is made up of pilots.

Why would Alan Joyce give a f#$% about an Australian carrier he is Irish. He doesn't give two hoots. Like Sol from Telstra, he didn't give two *****s about Telstra, left it in a piece of crap state for someone else to clean up. Thankfully its happening now.

It's foul what is happening and it's a story that requires some proper journalism and media coverage at the highest levels from both sides of the fence not just the Qantas spin from HQ.

Beau
Old 17th July 2011, 05:13 PM

I think your prediction is well off the mark. Qantas will not set-up an offshore operation to replace the Australian one and force staff to resign and apply for work in the offshore entity. It will however attempt to set-up one and channel expansion through this entity. This 'airline' will either be called Qantas or Jetstar. My prediction is this may well be out of Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, it won't be Hong Kong or Bangkok though.

As for the amount of money staff are paid, at the end of the day weather any staff are are over or underpaid is actually irrelevant. The bottom line is the cost of staff relative to the amount of income the airline receives for it's services, in such a competitive international environment is too high. Qantas, or any business CANNOT survive if it isn't making money to cover their costs, and this is what is happening international where to remain competitive Qantas must charge less than it costs to operate. This is clearly not sustainable.

As for pay going up at the rate of inflation, no employee anywhere should expect this, but most of us do and do get it. But you know what all that does is increases inflation so it disappears as easy as it comes. Over the past 10 years Australian incomes have gone up significantly, coupled with tax cuts, which has lead to the massive increases we see in the cost of living. This is one of the many reasons why Qantas is now so unprofitable on international routes, where it competes with an international cost base, but domestically, where the cost base is the same it does ok.

Back in the early 1990's Paul Keating described the recession that was going on at the time as 'the recession that Australia had to have", sadly a recession of this order is what we need in this country to bring costs back into a sustainable position. But no politician will ever allow that to happen because it would cause direct hurt, but the way things are going there is going to be hurt anyway. The question is do we need one where it can be controlled or one where the market controls it?

As for Joyce, the fact he is Irish is irrelevant. He is there to do a job and is trying to do it. If Borghetthi got the top job at Qantas you could bet your bottom dollar that he too would be trying to make similar changes. Indeed Borghetthi was involved up to his eye***** with the creation of Jetstar which was the start of the push to reduce costs, Joyce is just continuing what Dixon, Borghetti and co started.

PS mods, why is the word b a l l s (as in eye b a l l s) stared out?
Old 17th July 2011, 05:29 PM

1. Qantasia
2. Qantas, A Jetstar Group Airline
Old 25th July 2011, 06:07 AM
Administrator

The SMH makes the following comments on likely QF international route cuts:

LAX-JFK: Cancel - rely on AA alliance
AKL-LAX: Transfer to JQ
SYD-HNL: Under consideration for cancellation
SIN-BOM: Under consideration for cancellation
SYD-EZE: Under consideration for cancellation
SYD-JNB: Keep

Full article here.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
31MAY-03JUN LAS-JFK-LAS DL/B6
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
03-04AUG LAS-SAN-LAS F9/DL
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 25th July 2011, 10:29 AM

AKL-LAX has been long mooted for JQ as they have NZ-based staff don't they? Either that or they'll be ops by SIN-based staff doing SIN-AKL-LAX and return.

Wouldn't be surprised to see QF dropping off EZE, HNL and BOM as per the SMH article, perhaps BKK too if they can feed more LHR traffic through other ports.

How long until all the JQ aircraft are then repainted in QF colours, staffed by pilots and crew on much lower wages with less conditions?
Old 25th July 2011, 10:46 AM

I was always under the impression LAX-JFK was great for cargo. Maybe not anymore?

Keeping JNB is a no-brainer.
Old 25th July 2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
How long until all the JQ aircraft are then repainted in QF colours, staffed by pilots and crew on much lower wages with less conditions?
Not long to wait now, QANTAS group management has lost patience with the unions at QF mainline and will do their own thing, if the mainline employees want to come along for the ride, all well and good, if not they will have to find another airline to work for.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will H View Post
I was always under the impression LAX-JFK was great for cargo. Maybe not anymore?

Keeping JNB is a no-brainer.
So guess this frees up an A330 ?

Can Qantas/Jetstar A330's operate AKL/LAX & LAX/AKL without weight restriction ?
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:11 AM
Banned

Obviously HNL will go. Can;t work out why it's lasted so long.

The big question is how long will QF INT last & how soon QF will only be BNE, SYD, MEL, CBR & PER & rest will be given to JQ.